1962? Johnson Seahorse 10

vtfan

Recruit
I just bought a 12 foot aluminum V hull boat and the outboard motor says its a Johnson Seahorse 10. I have looked at pictures and came down with it being a 1962 by the looks. I will post pictures if anyone has this outboard or knows for sure which year it is. The issue I am facing is the throttle handle is broken, so I can really start it to see if it runs, even thought the seller said it did. Also while checking it over, the handle for the forward, neutral, and reverse was broken. I could move it, it moved freely and did not feel like it wasn't shifting into another gear. I often start an outboard at work, and you can shift it into the gears, and feel that you have changed. Anyone know if this is normal for this year? I am not very mechanically inclined lol. I will take pictures of the things that are broken and hopefully someone with some knowledge can guide me the right way!

Thank You,

Randy W.

vtfan

Recruit
Re: 1962? Johnson Seahorse 10

Just took the pictures. Sorry for the night time pictures. I work a 24 hour shift so, now is the only time in the next couple days I can get a picture.

nwcove

Admiral

welcome to iboats vtfan, pics arent here, but the tag should show it as a qd-23 or qd 23L . on the shifting thing, you may need to rotate the prop while trying it to get it to go into gear. but do pull the plug wires to keep if from accidentally starting.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

possible the shift handle is broken away from shaft. Fix for steering handle (twist grip throttle, etc.) may require replacement of steering bracket assembly, which can be done -- depends on how and where the handle is busted.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

What is broken with the tiller ?

vtfan

Recruit

I am having a heck of a time trying to upload pictures for some reason. NWCOVE, I didn't see any tag or anything, I have searched the motor, with nothing found. I will def. try to do what you suggested with the prop! Thank You! OLDBOAT1 and HIGH TRIM, the twist grip throttle is the part that is broken. Sorry I couldn't explain it better, I'm not sure what it was called, and thank you for telling me! I was going to try and start it when the throttle grip just broke! I have tried to put it back on and it wont go. The inside of the grip looks broke as well as the metal piece the connects it I would assume. As soon as I can get these pictures uploaded, It should help out a lot. I appreciate all the help!

Randy

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

sounds like it might be good news on your throttle grip. Haven't checked the parts blow up (link above), but will be able to troubleshoot with some disassembly at the handle.

vtfan

Recruit

Thank You KFA4303!! That helps a whole lot. I see through one of the diagrams on one of the websites that the tiller gear and shaft was actually broke and not the grip its self. I just ordered a new one! So hopefully one thing down and one to go. Crossing my fingers everything will be all good. The motor is in need of a good cleaning. The previous owners obviously didn't take care of it too well. I was just looking at the boat I had gotten and it too is a 1962ish era item. I am assuming the boat and motor have been together since the beginning. Or that's what I am telling anyway. I think I am going to take it to work with me tomorrow and degrease it and clean it up the best I can and find someone at work who is a little more mechanically incline to help me with the prop and spark plugs as NWCOVE suggested. I hope that is all it needs.

Thanks again everyone for the help! Your making the first boat ownership a little less stressful!

Randy.

PS- I still cant get the images loaded. I waited 30 mins for one image and it didn't do anything. I am going to try a computer at work tomorrow, so that should work.

vtfan

Recruit

I just found a 1922-1964 Johnson Service Manual 10th Edition online for free! It had all 674 pages! It is digital view, with small print and hard to see, but its free! Here is the link! If its the real deal, spread the word! Looks like it will help me a lot!

Boatinfo - 1922-1964 Johnson Service Manual

Vintage Boat Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try reducing the size of your images, they should upload better. Cool motor, had a a 1955 10hp lots of power and ran beautifully at idle.

Vintage Boat Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The 1962 was the last year of the adjustable high speed jet I believe.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner

You should be able to run the motor with the broken / non working tiller handle.