Vintage 35HP Evinrude/Johnson Bigtwin

cchildr84

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok fellas, after rebuilding my 81 Evinrude 25hp, I've now got the Johnnyrude fever, and decided at some point I'd like to see about get either a 57 or 58 Evinrude or Johnson 35HP. I'm leaning toward Evinrude, simply for the color scheme. Aside from these motors requiring a pressurized tank and that they have points and condenser in lieu of CDI ignition, whats the skinny on these motors?

I believe these motor are more prevelent up north than they are down here in the south, since they originate up north. I don't know, cost wise, if it would be worth finding one that needs to be restored, or just try to find one that has already been restored. What are you guy's thoughts.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Vintage 35HP Evinrude/Johnson Bigtwin

Well, as a collector/restorer, I love finding them buried in a barn somewhere not touched for decades! Rusty gold as they say.

The good news is that they are easy to work on, with the common tools, and parts are still easily had for either motor you mentioned.

Even down south, still PLENTY to choose from. Maybe start with an ad at aomci.org in the webvertize. Plenty of members near you that could help.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I have a few of each of the 4 motors you mentioned. Here are a few examples of some of the motors you mentioned.

Here is a '58 35hp Johnson standard

Here is a '58 Super Sea Horse 35hp

Here is a '57 Lark 35hp

Here is a '57 Javelin 35hp

Middle is a '57 standard 35hp

Here is a '58 Lark 35hp

Gives you a few ideas!

kfa4303

Banned

cchildr84

Petty Officer 1st Class

Out of curiosity is the Lark to the Evinrude, what the Javelin is to the Johnson? Meaning is it the highest/fanciest model within the Bigtwin Evinrude lineup?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Yes the Javelin and Lark were the "Cadillac" versions for Johnson and Evinrude respectively.

Fancier paint, extra chrome, etc...

In '58 they dropped the Javelin name and called the fancy model the Super Sea Horse which you can see in my pics compared to the standard '58 35hp.

Last edited: