1998 150 Johnson engine controls and wiring

I have recently acquired a 98 Johnson 150 hp. I want to replace my 1985 force 125 hp on a 19' Bayliner. The Johnson didn't come with controls and after shopping around the controls seem to be somewhat generic or universal as far as the year or hp is concerned. Can some one give me an idea about what I need or will any basic Johnson controls work for this engine. Thanks for reading and offering advice on this matter.

fishman204

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1998 150 Johnson engine controls and wiring

they should be available on Ebay just make sure you get them with the seperated square plugs not the big round one on the motor end

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Fishman is correct. You need to understand the differences between the OMC control boxes. OMC changed them effective with the 1996 model year. The newer engines like yours use the deutch (electrical) connectors. That newer engine has the capability of sending additional control (system check) information from the engine to the dash, where it can be displayed on a systemcheck gauge-a nice feature. If you locate a 1995 or older control box, it will work, but you will have to purchase adapter cables from Bombardier in order to connect/adapt it to that newer engine. You should still be able to connect the newer systemcheck gauge.

fishman204

Seaman Apprentice

I have older controls with the adapter that emdsapmgr is talking about and it works too

racerone

Supreme Mariner

This " plug and play " concept is not really needed.----------Since there is an adapter cable available it also means that you could work around this.---------Depends on what you want to do yourself.------If you had an OMC control with the red plug you could install a terminal strip on the motor.--This would allow you to attach / join control wires and motor wires.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Look on ebay or craigslist for a POST 96 OMC control….

They make side controls, they make side controls that are hidden, and they make bimini ( top mount) controls.

Youll have to figure where you want the control on your boat before you decide on what control to look for.

If you can find a pre 95 control, you will REALLY want an adapter cable. They are pricey if new…

When picking an adapter cable…make sure you buy the one that is for post 96 motors…to what ever control you buy

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Last one of these newer controls I picked up at a dealer $100 , did not hesitate to take it home.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Last one of these newer controls I picked up at a dealer $100 , did not hesitate to take it home.

you got lucky, most DEALERS would want more than that for an adapter harness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The basic pre-95 to 96 control box/adapter harness is: p/n 176349. Includes the wire end for the oil tank, too. Somewhere in the $ 200 range. The same harness with the system check wiring is p/n 176345. About just over $ 400. So, you decide which control box/harness to purchase, based on any add'l wiring adapters you will need to make the older control box work. It may be cheaper in the long run just go look for a 96 and up box/harness.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

I know where to shop.-----Was at a shop and was shown one of those adapter cables. Fellow said " do you think you can use this " I said " maybe ".Was also shown a box with new OMC universal coils.--Did not spend a lot of money there.----Did not count them till I got home.------30 coils for about $5.00 each.