Pull Starter 1976 Evinrude 4hp 4606M

having trouble with a pull starter. Trying to resurrect this engine that has been in storage for many years. My current opportunity is the pull starter. worked for approx. 30 pulls, engine ran....was doing adjustments. then, I noticed the starter recoil was slow so I WD-40'd it. then it just stopped recoiling altogether. spring has not lost its place but I noticed if I loosened the bolt it would recoil a little. couple of questions:

this starter uses 3 bushings which are on order....what lube do I use ?

how do you get to the washer below the spring without .... BOINGGGG ! as I've read through other threads and this washer was mentioned as a culprit. ????

how do you put an extra turn or two one the spring ? I didn't really understand diy on this in other threads..

THANK YOU !

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pull Starter 1976 Evinrude 4hp 4606M

Tim a factory service manual would really help you on this. Sorry, but I can't type long enough to tell you how to do it.

hidef

Lieutenant

The following was originally posted by Rick. The instructions quite accurate for reloading the spring. Make sure you re-read them several times. Lots of room for loading the spring is essential for it is about 12 feet long when unwound. I also suggest you install a new pull cord while you are it. Good luck.

Post from Rick;
If you have an original omc service manual the last chapter tells you how to install the spring. I assume you don't have that one. I'll be going by memory here so I hope I don't leave out any steps. Read this a few times before starting as I'm leaving out some of the obvious stuff. Before you start clean all parts in varsol or paint thinner and then give everything a good coat of new light grease. Standing on the port side of your engine the pull cord goes on clockwise. I believe the length is 68 inches. with the recoil removed, wrap the pull cord all the way on it's pulley and then take an elastic band and place it on so the pull cord stays in the pulley. You will see a hole in the casting looking at you where the idler gear is. Fit a snug fitting drill bit in the hole. Push the idler gear up so it is making contact with the flywheel. Make a couple of wooden wedges that will sit on the cowl and force the drill bit up so the idler gear stays meshed in the flywheel. At the back (stern) of the cup there is a slit where the spring enters into the cup and locks on the spring pin. Once you get everything aligned take a socket wrench on the flywheel nut and start turning the flywheel clockwise (plugs removed). As you turn the flywheel the spring will commence winding into the cup. Once the entire spring is in the cup you can take the rope and feed it out of the cowl and tie a slip knot on the outside of the cowl. Put the handle on the rope and release your knot and the rope should wind back into the recoil. Hope this helps. Wear old clothes as I always end up filthy during recoil work. Best of luck. Rick. P.S. here is a parts break down you can access to see exactly where all the parts go. Don't exclude any.
http://epc.brp.com/SiteMods/BRP_Publ...0-a8e2e2efa43f You have to go johnson/1973/4hp and so on to find your parts.
Edit. once the spring is in the cup remove the wedges and drill bit before you feed out the rope. This is why an original OMC service manual is so important. Saves me a bunch of typing and brain pain trying to remember everything. My manual is at the shop so I am going by memory.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Hidef, you sure can type better than I can. Good explanation.

Thanks hidef...I have Clymer B732 and starting on page 288 seems to give me an instructional on the procedure....but damn!

Couple 'o questions:

in Removal/installation #4 it says "Disconnect the starter spring at the cup and stop assembly and pull it out as far as possible to relieve spring tension"....isn't that removing the spring totally from the assembly ?

nwcove

Admiral

you go to boatinfo, you will get the same basic instructions, but it may be worth a look.

hidef

Lieutenant

Boobie,

I can't take credit for the instructions. Those came from Rick I kept a copy on my hard drive because I had to rewind my starter on the 4 when I was on vacation and I didn't have the manual with me at the time. His instructions and the parts diagram add it back up and running in no time.

Tim,
You don't need to entirely remove the spring but you are going to need to disconnect it a pull it out some if you need more spring tension. I recommend completely disassembling it, clean it and put it back together. They get pretty gummed up over time and if the pull cord is original you might want to replace it as it is close to forty years old.