Vintage Evinrude 40 hp

microplusmick

Recruit
HI guys,
I'm new to the forum and wondered if you could help me out?
I recently bought a mid 70's Evinrude 40hp pullstart outboard, I think it may be 1975 at a guess (no data plate). The needle valve( part number 0317176) appears to be missing and I'm struggling to find one here in Scotland. I've seen many for sale in USA but have astronomical postage charges for such a small part. Does anyone know of dealer in the UK or has anyone got one they could sell me please?
Regards,
Mick.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Vintage Evinrude 40 hp

Good morning and welcome aboard iboats. :welcome:

Without the ID plate on your engine you can still find out much information by reading the freeze-type plug on the top of the engine by the cylinder head. It looks like a typical freeze plug but has numbers stamped on it. Those numbers will decode into the model and year of your engine. As far as finding parts, iboats has lots of part for your engine and I'm sure once you decode exactly what you have their break-down pictorial diagrams will help you out a lot also...

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander

there appears to be more than a dozen brp dealers in the uk that sell evinrude and johnson parts. just look up BRP parts in the uk.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

If paint and cowling are original , then post a picture for identification.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

used needle should be fine if you can locate one with your model number/year, once you get that clear. They're brass and pretty indestructible. Should be straight, with undamaged point.

microplusmick

Recruit

Hi guys,
Thanks for all your very useful lnfo. I'll let you know how I get on.
Cheers

microplusmick

Recruit

Good morning and welcome aboard iboats. :welcome:

Without the ID plate on your engine you can still find out much information by reading the freeze-type plug on the top of the engine by the cylinder head. It looks like a typical freeze plug but has numbers stamped on it. Those numbers will decode into the model and year of your engine. As far as finding parts, iboats has lots of part for your engine and I'm sure once you decode exactly what you have their break-down pictorial diagrams will help you out a lot also...

Thanks,that's a good start. The number stamped on the plug is C0014816. Not sure how to cross reference it to relevant part numbers though. Tried it in Google but no info.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander

i dont know about there but here in canada if you call BRP customer service and give them the serial number, they can give you a model number.