Johnson 1995 115hp V4 selecting problems

mats455

Recruit
Hi im having troubles with my motor it was having trouble going into gear then started jumping like the clutch dogs were gone but when it is under more power then 1500rpm no more jumping i then adjusted the cable and it selected forward fine but then it had trouble getting into reverse then would get reverse but not forward then forward was fine i have a clicking noise when in neutral out of the water if you spin the prop and if the motor is running and i put my hand were the cable goes it feels like a ticking so my question is is this the shifter linkage can it be an adjustment some were it almost feels like the shaft going down to the lower unit maybe lose making it not engage properly any help would be great

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 1995 115hp V4 selecting problems

Sounds like a shift adjustment issue. First thing is to determine if it's a shift adjustment or a real problem with the lower unit. Remove the cowling. Disconnect the shift cable under the cowling. Start the engine and shift it manually, by hand. If it shifts ok by hand, it's just an adjustment issue. When the engine is in forward gear, shift the control box to forward. See how the shift cable end matches up with the bolt on the shift lever. Do the same thing in reverse. Adjust/reconnect the shift cable to the shift lever bolt. Would be helpful to know which engine you have. OMC made a 90 degree crossflow and a 60 degree looper that year. Both 115's. Can you post a model #? Any chance the lower unit was recently off for a water pump changeout?