1979 Evinrude Outboard trim assembly compatability

stevojones

Recruit

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 Evinrude Outboard trim assembly compatability

That is the one that works for a 79 motor including the 70 HP.--------Do you have the rest of the stuff ?------Wiring and solenoid and switch ?----It has been painted and is pricey if not complete with the wiring.

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Physically, it's the same unit. You need to know if it's the same electrically. Your 79 unit has a 3-wire motor. It uses a control box which mounts under the rear splashwell, with a single solenoid. The newer units (mid 1981 and later) took the newer motor, a two-wire type with twin relays. The two motors are not compatible, even though they look the same. Hard to tell in the ebay pic whether the wiring is two or 3 wire. You need to get a 3-wire motor for to be compatible with the rest of your 79 trim electronics.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

The pictures clearly show that it is a 3 wire motor !

wayneo99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That unit should work as others have posted. The old school relay can still be purchased or the newer electronic ones can easily be retrofited for use with a 2 or 3 wire system. There are a few posts here that you can search for the schematics and wiring diagrams.

I think more importantly is the unit off of ebay. It may work as far as up and down but the trim piston seals should be inspected for leaks. They are easy to change if you have the special tool and they are not frozen with 20 years of salt. I had a working unit with a leaking seal and was unable to dissamble it due to corrosion.i have the special tool, heat and penatrating oil didnt work.
Just be aware of what you buy on ebay. I would rather see it mysely, see it operate on the bench and inspect all 3 pistons for leaks.

a working unit on a parts motor could be found easily with some searching, disassembly from the transom bracket is relativley easy with a little heat on the side mount bolts but the pin that goes through the tilt piston can be tough.

it comes down to your time, your skills and how much you want to spend.
this forum is a great tool for help if you need it. It has helped me many times!! good luck

Last edited:

reiddo1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi all,

Hoping for some help. Newbie to boating and also this forum.

We need a new (or secondhand) trim assembly for our 1979 70hp Evinrude outboard.

Found this one online - Johnson Evinrude Late 70's 80's 90 175HP Complete Hydraulic Tilt and Trim Unit | eBay

It says it is a 90-175hp unit. Would anyone know if this is compatible with a 70hp?

If not, anyone know where I can find one that won't cost me an arm and leg?

Thanks,

Steve

I have one, not re-painted and won't cost to an arm and leg either. PM me for details.