1982 Evinrude 25 hp Shift Lever Problems-Help!!!

tompands

Cadet
I have a 1982 Evinrude 25 hp. the shift lever was frozen. I got it freed up and now it turns but the upper linkage isn't moving. How can that be?? I have already removed the lower unit. and the upper linkage can be seen thru the oval hole. when I turn the shift lever the linkage stay put-not even trying to move. Unless the shift lever is broke right in half, how could the upper linkage not move? What do I have to do to get the shift lever out? Your help is greatly appreciated.

1982 Evinrude 25 model # E25RCNB

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1982 Evinrude 25 hp Shift Lever Problems-Help!!!

Can you reach up from underneath and move the shift rod up and down?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

should be able to move it vertically, a little up or down. I don't have a pic or parts blow up of your unit, so will need to wait for some more input from other listers. Check the lever again, and look for breakage somewhere. Afraid the powerhead will have to be removed if you can't free up the linkage from the top. Need some advice from other listers.

tompands

Cadet

should be able to move it vertically, a little up or down. I don't have a pic or parts blow up of your unit, so will need to wait for some more input from other listers. Check the lever again, and look for breakage somewhere. Afraid the powerhead will have to be removed if you can't free up the linkage from the top. Need some advice from other listers.
I'm in the process of removing the powerhead-just need a little guidance and advice to get it off

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

with a model specific service manual, yes?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

4 screws from the bottom and 2 nuts on top / fuel line / electrical connections / carburetor controls and it lifts off.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I'm betting you freed up the handle on the shaft without freeing up the shaft itself. It's held on with one clamp bolt, (running perpendicular to the shaft) and one adjustment bolt (parallel to shaft). If the bolts are loose you'd be able to move the handle without engaging the shaft.

Either that, or you busted the shaft inside...

tompands

Cadet

I'm betting you freed up the handle on the shaft without freeing up the shaft itself. It's held on with one clamp bolt, (running perpendicular to the shaft) and one adjustment bolt (parallel to shaft). If the bolts are loose you'd be able to move the handle without engaging the shaft.

Either that, or you busted the shaft inside...

your bet is correct-after I got into it a little further, I realized the handle was turning and not the shaft. I got the motor up out of my way and took a long punch and beat hell out of the shaft-she was seized big time-I don't think it was ever greased and there was NO other way to do it.. Between the punch on one end and vise grips on the other, Now I need a new shaft- and some way to clean this hole out.

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

hey, love it. go for it! :)

boobie

Supreme Mariner

What shade tree do you work under???? Palm or oak????:laugh:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Tompands, why don't you stick to one post ?? Read the rules at the beginning of the forum !!!!

tompands

Cadet

What shade tree do you work under???? Palm or oak????:laugh:

I was a engineer for Kenworth Truck Company for 30 years. I believe I can turn a wrench without a tree.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I think......trucks are different than outboards the last I heard..........

tompands

Cadet

Tompands, why don't you stick to one post ?? Read the rules at the beginning of the forum !!!!

I don't know how it got posted twice. But it did. Your more worried about it then I am.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

O' well, pretty soon a Moderator will come along. You're doing just fine. :confused:

Last edited: