1982 evinrude 25 hp shift lever HELP!!

tompands

Cadet
I have a 1982 Evinrude 25 hp. the shift lever was frozen. I got it freed up and now it turns but the upper linkage isn't moving. How can that be?? I have already removed the lower unit. and the upper linkage can be seen thru the oval hole. when I turn the shift lever the linkage stay put-not even trying to move. Unless the shift lever is broke right in half, how could the upper linkage not move? What do I have to do to get the shift lever out? Your help is greatly appreciated.

1982 Evinrude 25 model # E25RCNB

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: 1982 evinrude 25 hp shift lever HELP!!

I think you really need to stop over at ebay and start looking for a OMC factory service manual. I think you're going to need it.

This is a 1981 manual but it will work for your 1982.
1981 Johnson Evinrude 25 35 HP Service Repair Shop Manual OMC 392072 | eBay

Next best thing would be to go to http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=bc37g631fsfptrh3fghge3bg16&catalog_id=0&siteid=1 then find your engine and study the parts breakdown to see how it's put together.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Just remove that shaft and see what is wrong / broken.--Should be easy to do.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Just remove that shaft and see what is wrong / broken.--Should be easy to do.

Appears he tried to remove it but doesn't know how. A manual will tell him much more clearly than I can.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Agreed on that topic of a manual.---Something was said about this previously.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I don't feel sorry for people that won't buy a manual. If they have a manual and ask questions, that's fine.

tompands

Cadet

I don't feel sorry for people that won't buy a manual. If they have a manual and ask questions, that's fine.

1. No one asked for your Sympathy
2. Manuals are for people that don't know what their doing-or can't do what their doing
3. If I had a Manual, why would I ask you a Question?
4. 20 Min after I posted the Question, I had the shaft out and on my work bench-ALL without a Manual-I was just unsure of if the powerhead HAD to come off or if there was a shortcut to get it out.
5. With your name and 14000 post, I have to think you are sitting, somewhere in South Florida, bored out of your mind, thinking of ways to be sarcastic to people on website forums-there's a lot to be said for your comment.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

2. Manuals are for people that don't know what their doing-or can't do what their doing
3. If I had a Manual, why would I ask you a Question?
4. 20 Min after I posted the Question, I had the shaft out and on my work bench-ALL without a Manual-I was just unsure of if the powerhead HAD to come off or if there was a shortcut to get it out.

2. A manual provides much more than guess work. There are torque specs, torque sequense, electrical schematics, electrical trouble shooting steps, proper tune up and linkage adjustment not to mention pulling the lower gearcase apart.
3. Correct that if you had the manual with the parts break down you probably wouldn't have asked the question.
4. Glad you were able to get it out. from what I see on BRP that shaft is about $80.00 new and is still available.

And yes I too am a mechanic, do it for a living and we have shelves full of manuals that we use all the time and would be helpless w/o them. Pumps, motors, electrial controls, motor drives, shafts, bearings, gearboxes, seals, air valves, hydralic valves, Cylinders, flow meter valves, Boilers, hot water Pick heaters, burners and flame controls.

So yes a good mechanic/tech will use a manual just as they would any other tool. At the same time there are times when a manual is of no help in how to remove a broken part. But it can keep you from breaking a good part.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Tompands I still think you don't get the right idea about this forum. You should have no more than one post going. READ THE RULES AT THE TOP OF THE FORUM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!