1987 Johnson 2.5 HP outboard

marauder11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just got a new to me outboard. Seems pretty easy to operate. I have a 1986 120hp Johnson and it has a tell tail for the cooling( might be wrong name but has a stream of water to show the impeller is moving water). This little outboard does not. A few questions. Will I be able to tell if its moving water? If not how easy is it to install one? Also will installing a tell tail on such a small motor affect the cooling? i would hate to over heat this. If anyone has one with the tank on the leg how long cam you troll around on it? Any idea how big the tank is?
Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 Johnson 2.5 HP outboard

Easy to install a new impeller.-----Remove the lower unit and the pump is right there.--------Water comes out in a fine mist with the exhaust half way down the exhaust housing.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1987 Johnson 2.5 HP outboard

should see some misting as described. An easy check when running is just to use the heel of your hand and check temp on the top or bottom of the head. Should be able to hold your hand on it for a few seconds.

Take a small (1/2 gallon or so) fuel container with premixed fuel. But starting with a full tank, you probably will troll all afternoon without adding more gas.

Last edited: