Hooking up a tachometer

Keegan.MW

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys I know what my wot rpm range is but I'm wanting to hook up a tach to actually see what it's putting out. How do I go about doing this?

My motor is a 1978 Johnson seahorse 35hp

notactjack

Cadet
Re: Hooking up a tachometer

My 73 has a 3 prong plug I believe that that plug is positive, negative, and signal. I havn't seen an adapter to use that plug but there has to be one or you could get a generic gauge, take apart the controls and splice into those wires.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Your easiest solution will be a "Tiny-Tach" tachometer. All you have to do is wrap one of its wires around one of the spark plug wires and the other wire to a ground on the engine and your tachometer works, Just make sure that you get one for a 2 stroke engine. These tachometers have a small battery inside that last for about 6 years and then the tachometer needs to be replaced. I mentioned this because there are plenty examples of old tiny tachs being sold on e-bay that have only a few months left on them.
You can only get them online straight from the factory. They do this so they can cut the wiring length exactly according to your needs.
It will give you hours and rpm and it is very precise.

http://tinytach.com/gasoline.php

Last edited:

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Your easiest solution will be a "Tiny-Tach" tachometer. All you have to do is wrap one of its wires around one of the spark plug wires and the other wire to a ground on the engine and your tachometer works, Just make sure that you get one for a 2 stroke engine. These tachometers have a small battery inside that last for about 6 years and then the tachometer needs to be replaced. I mentioned this because there are plenty examples of old tiny tachs being sold on e-bay that have only a few months left on them.
You can only get them online straight from the factory. They do this so they can cut the wiring length exactly according to your needs.
It will give you hours and rpm and it is very precise.

International Customers | View Shopping Cart (0) | Contact Us

Home
Tiny-Tach™
Gasoline Tach
Commercial Tach
Diesel Tach
Magnetic Pulse Tach
Ultrasonic Cleaner
More Tachometers
Manometer
Timing Equipment
Other Tools

TT2A Instructions
New Standard TT2A Gasoline Engine Tiny-Tach™
Gasoline Tiny-Tach

The New Standard
Tiny-Tach™ ... affordable, accurate, self-contained tachometer/hour meter.
Click for larger view

RPM reading adjustable from 1 spark per 2 revolutions to 8 sparks per revolution. One TINY-TACH™ now works for most gas engines.
RPM display from 1 to 19,000.
RPM update time 1/2 second.
Hour meter records total actual running time on your engine.
Job timer can be reset to record run time for record keeping.
Coax cable transmits signal without EMF interference.
1 Antenna cable winds around your spark plug wire to give you the RPM reading – clean and simple to attach. Signal strength can be controlled by the antenna wire.
Standard cable length is 6 feet. Additional length can be added at the factory for $10. If not standard, please specify total length needed in the "comments" section at the end of the order page.
TINY-TACH™ unit is potted to prevent damage from moisture and vibration. Lithium battery life 5+ years, not replaceable.
NOTE: Some engines, such as multi-cylinder outboards generate considerable electronic "noise" and may require a light filter to assure a clear RPM reading. You will find a "comments" section at the end of the order page where you can tell us about your engine – what kind and how many cylinders it has – so that we can make any necessary adjustments.
One year warranty. Click here for warranty information.

Model Description Price
TT2A New Standard Tiny-Tach $47.00
Add to Cart

?2012. All rights Reserved. // Design Technology, Inc // 768 Burr Oak Drive // Westmont, Illinois 60559 // 630-920-1300

boobie

Supreme Mariner

One of these days I'm going to try one of those as I've heard a lot of good about them. Sounds like the old tachs used back on the 60's.