1975 Evinrude 9.9 timing

tanuki

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1975 Evinrude 9.9 model 10554C electric and rope start. Just want to verify (before I torque down the flywheel) that I static time on the ?E? markings on the flywheel There are 4 marks on the flywheel. ?E? and ?R? on one side and the same thing 180 degrees on the opposite side. The letters are raised on the flywheel. See attached photo.....
First time ?tuning up a outboard? and I also would like to know if I should put a small amount of anti seize on the threads that the flywheel nut goes on?

Attachments

• flywheel1.jpg
    flywheel1.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 0

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant
Re: 1975 Evinrude 9.9 timing

I don't really remember. I thought the letters designated electric start versus rope start and depending on which type of starter you have, you would go from there.

I may be wrong on that, but I do recall that when I looked into the timing, one of the marks (the wrong one) was no where near the correct spot, so the right mark kind of ends up jumping out at you unless your timing is way, way off. Which on these motors is pretty difficult since it is set by the point gap and the flywheel key.

I have worked on two of these series of motors and on both of them a point gap of 0.020" always put the timing right between the marks. I don't even bother looking at the marks anymore.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Run the motor and use a timing light for both cylinders to check the timing.----Likely it will fire between the 2 vertical marks.

tanuki

Petty Officer 2nd Class

@ OptsyEagle...Static check with old points in, even though "off" was closer to "E" marks, so I static timed on those marks (.020" works but I really fine tuned with a meter). Thanks for the info.
@ racerone@...Thank you, I know that would work, but I have not used a timing light since I had a 1964 Chevy (good ole days). Anyway, the motor is inside now and running the motor outside is rough now in the winter.
Now on to replacing the impeller and a carb rebuild before spring. I am sure I will have more questions down the road....
Thanks again guys.