1962 5.5 hp johnson running issue

Billy Bonner

Recruit
(Correction 1964 model)I know this question has been asked 100 times. I bought the outboard last year for $150. The guy told me that it needed a water pump(I was going to replace anyway) and a fuel pump because it would not stay running. So I replaced the water pump and tried to start. To my surprise it started after a couple of pulls but wouldnt stay running. I then pushed the bubble every few seconds while it was running and it would run fine. I replaced the original fuel pump with the Seirra 18-7350. Now it seems to run better(like a top!) but will not stay running, only run for maybe a minute or so. It responds well when i give it some throttle. I appreciate any advise in advance!

Last edited:

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
Re: 1962 5.5 hp johnson running issue

do you have the tank vent open... ?

runs like a top so that is not bad but is it only at hight speeds ?? if so can we conclude only stalls at low speeds ??

did you an overal on the carb and very important did you inspect the low speed circuit (small round disk on top of the carb needs to be pulled and drip chamber cleaned out).

sounds like it starving for fuel at low speeds so you need to inspect L/S needle, carb channel, float, etc...
clean or replace all filters used (pump screen if any and the filter in the fuel bowl) .

have you tested compression ??? what are your numbers

have the electricals been replaced ?? coils points condensers, plug wires on this oldie

Last edited:

Billy Bonner

Recruit

Crosbyman,
Thanks for the fast reply!
No i only ran it in a test drum. It runs fine at idle and while throttled(no spitting or sputtering). It just dies after a minute or so like its running out of gas. I have not had the compression checked nor rebuild the carb. A mechanic did tell me (over the phone) that it may be wore out or have stuck rings and needs to be re ringed becasue the pump works off the compression. But I dont think this motor has been used much. And yes the vent on the tank is open. I just hope its not time scrap this thing. I will check the compression and see what happens!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Step 1 is always check compression.

Now, pull off the fuel line from the carb and run the motor. Of course, direct the line into an appropriate cup for the test. Is a steady stream of fuel pulsing out from the line? It should be. If it is, your fuel pump is working and the issue is in the carb.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

Since you're running it in a barrel could it be that it's choking on it's own exhaust. Unless you have a windy day the exhaust tends to get sucked up in the intake and the motor will starve for air. Try it with the cover off the motor and try 'fanning' the intake when it starts stalling and see if it makes a difference.

nwcove

Admiral

how high is the fuel pump in relation to the bottom of the fuel tank when you are running it in your barrel??

Billy Bonner

Recruit

High Trim, I do not have a compression gauge but I will aquire one. I will try taking the line off and see if it is skeeting any fuel. Whats a good number for compression? thanks.

Two Cycle, I did not think of that. I will try that.

NWCove. Well the tank is on the ground and the motor is on top of a full size 55 gallon drum. I did not think of that either. thats a lot of lift huh?

Thanks guys!

nwcove

Admiral

yep, a long way for that pump to pull fuel with the motor at idle....or even above idle.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

nwcove: I never thought about the distance from the tank up to the motor. I have a (approx) 35 gallon test tank which places the motor about 4 feet above the tank on the ground. I've also had a number of motors that I've never been able to get running right. Is there too much height? Every picture I see of someone testing a motor in a barrel the tank is on the ground; including myself. What are your recommendations and experience with this. thanks!

nwcove

Admiral

maybe its just a "me" thing, but i always set the fuel tank up to mimic how it would set on the floor of a boat for pump "lift". pumps of any sort, are inheritantly bad at pulling liquid, so adding "feet" of lift does make a difference.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

What your saying is probably a good idea. From now on I'm going to make sure the tank is relative to normal boat operation. Getting some of these motors up and running; you need every bit of help. thanks !

Billy Bonner

Recruit

UPDATE: Last night I went home and studied the fuel/air system. As I stated before, I replaced the fuel pump. And as some of yall know the new aftermarket pump is not set up like the original pump. So i had to reroute the fuel lines. So now I had to run the line to the carb up and over the pump so the line from the tank to the pump would match up since its a thicker and stiffer hose. I soon realized that the "in" side on the pump is adjustable 360 degrees:facepalm: Well I'm no mechanic but anyway I flipped the pump and adjusted the "in" side on pump and raised my fuel tank to normal use height like NWCove recomended and now she is running great and closer to being creek ready. I may have confused yall with this post but I am from Mississippi so bear with me.

Thanks guys

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral

don't forget a good decarb with seafoam or similar stuff like the BRP engine cleaner ... kills mosquitoes to !