FD-10 1956 15hp Johnson potential spark issue

Drowned Rat

Captain
Hi guys,

I've got this motor running, what I haven't looked at yet was the coils until now. My top clyinder seems fire always and pefectly. The bottom cyclinder fires only when it wants to.

Is it worth replacing the coils on this motor??

Thanks so much for all your help!

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: FD-10 1956 15hp Johnson potential spark issue

sounds like a coil, but check out the plug wire boot first. There is a spring connector up inside the boot. That's the electrical connection for the plug (tip of which goes into the spring). That connection has to be clean and shiny. I use a phillips screwdriver to clean it up without removing it from the boot -- try that first to see if it takes care of the intermittent spark problem.

I don't know if you have removed the flywheel yet, but the coils, points and condensers are under there. If there is an inspection plate on top of the flywheel, take that off and look down at the top of the magneto plate. Typically, old coils will have cracked housings, which are easy to see. If you see cracks, plan on replacing the coils -- may need to anyway, but definitely should if they are cracking.

Anyway, that's a start. You can rebuild the magneto with new parts (incl coils) for about $100, give or take.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral

good strong motors worth fixing if no major issues (parts available & not to expensive)

easy to convert to pump (sorry purists) but you need to change the side connector to a single line connector.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

ouch! I'm wounded with the fuel pump thing....

Crosbyman is right. When you get up to fuel issues, you can convert to a fuel pump if you want. Depends on what your plans are for the motor (antique restoration, for example?) You can convert back to the pressure tank system later, though, so putting on a fuel pump isn't a permanent change. If you do it, I suggest getting a second exhaust cover somewhere and putting the fuel pump on that (requires a hole in the cover). That way, you can put on the original cover if you want to convert back.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

I do believe the fuel pump fits on one of the 2 intake covers !

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

yes, actually goes on the bypass cover, where the pump gets a pulse. Downed Rat -- If you get up to that, you will be checking for detailed instructions (a number of discussions, here and elsewhere).

Last edited:

kfa4303

Banned

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral

if you convert to pump I suggest you look at B&S round pumps (cheap)

tjandrews

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Definitely worth replacing the coils if needed, but there's still the possibility it could be something else. My '54 10HP started running like that a couple of years ago, with coils known to be good. It would run fine for a few minutes, then one cylinder would quit. I cleaned and set the points as carefully as I could, no dice. New condensers, no dice. Turned out to be one of the spark plugs, even though they only had a few hours on them. It was crapping out as soon as it got up to operating temperature. New plugs did the trick.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

I had a similar experience last summer in working on a motor -- had spark verified with a spark tester, but ended up replacing a plug to get the motor up and running. Recalling (incorrectly maybe) that I had no continuity on the plug I needed to replace, and had not seen that before (top of plug to center post).