1973 evinrude 115 hp

antonio88

Seaman
hello everyone and thanks for looking, i have a 1973 115 hp that a friend of mine gave it to me i know is been there for a while and i havent do any work w it yet, but i just tryied to fire it up and the flywheel turns but really really really slowly and i took the four spark plugs out and then it will turn freelly so i goa back and put the spark plugs back in and it just do the same it just turns really really slow that it wont start like i said havent do any kind of work yet i just wanna know wat will be the firs step to take so i can trouble shoot it thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 evinrude 115 hp

Pull the starter off and inspect it.-----If the flywheel turns too slow there will not be any spark.---Motor will not start.------Best to do a compression test before spending $ for parts.------That test can be done pulling it over with a rope.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You should check the electrical connections on the starter wiring to make sure the terminal ends are not corroded-they must be clean and tight from the battery direct to the starter. Get another battery that is known to be well charged. Use a set of automotive jumper cables and go direct to the starter. If the starter seems to crank normally during this test, it's probably ok. If so, you will need to check the key switch for proper electrical function and the starter solenoid as well. The contacts internal to an old solenoid can get burned and not transfer current properly when activated. That starter must crank the engine at least 250 rpm's in order to fire the ignition system.

antonio88

Seaman

i have a well running 1979 85 hp and i put that starter on the 1973 and is doing the same and i know for sure that my 1979 starter works perfect

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Try jumping straight to starter from battery, it might be the cables or solenoid that is worn