1977 70 HP Evinrude charging system

hawk200282

Seaman
As I understand it, this motor puts out 6 Amps charge at WOT. Is there an after market solution available to increase this? I found myself a few times last season having to pull start after running the battery down. Would like to avoid this if at all possible.

I'f not, Ill just install a second battery & switch.

Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1977 70 HP Evinrude charging system

Part number 0173276, 12 amp conversion kit. Listed as no longer available, but that doesn't mean there isn't one somewhere.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

take it you are running the battery down with accessories (i.e., that the charging system is otherwise OK). The two battery solution is the way to go in my opinion. I successfully used an isolator with a 6amp system and dual batteries, but I don't think I was running anything other than a fishfinder, so results might be different. The easiest way would be to get a big deep cycle for the accessories, and just charge it up with a shore charger. The object is to keep the starting battery charged up for the trip home.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral

just curious.... have you made certain you have a functionnal charging system to begin with ? what load are you putting on the battery.... accessories wise. Is this a new problem for you (what has changed ???) or as it been an issue all the time.

the smaller common depht sounders don't draw much current

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Crosby asks a good question. Once running, the engine makes it's own voltage/current to run the ignition system. Other than running the trim (and the initial starting,) the engine does not consume battery voltage. At that point a battery which is not being recharged will still provide power to run the accessories- for maybe weeks on end. You should be able to verify if it's charging via a voltmeter across the battery terminals.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Far more people complain of overcharging than undercharging. You must be running a lot of accessories, or the charging system isn't working. But I know wherof you are coming. I thought I could run a 4 amp thrmo-cooler on my 6 amp system. Wrong, after much idleing up the river, I found myself rope starting the motor.