1970 Evinrude 85 HP Eletric shift wont start with the key

fredmeyer

Cadet
I have a 1970 Evinrude 85 hp with electric shift. It won't turn the engine over when I turn the key. I have checked the shift push button switch and it is testing everything right like it should be. I've tested the two wires for the shifter wires and the are doing what they are suppose to be doing when the correct button is pushed. I have had it started last fall when I used a remote starter switch on starter solenoid. discovered that it need a water pump and then replaced it and after that the key wont turn the engine over. It is stuck in gear and I think that has to do with the shift solenoids but not sure how to test those. I know every one says stay away from the electric shift but I have one and need to get it running. That's what I get for buying a boat off Ebay.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970 Evinrude 85 HP Eletric shift wont start with the key

I don't have a wiring diagram, but the factory parts list does not show a small 20 amp fuse in the harness. Possible it is elsewhere in the harness to the control box on that engine.. If, by chance, that engine has a 20 amp fuse: Make sure it is not blown, or the whole engine will go dead. You'll want to try to jump the starter with a set of automotive cables connected to a know strong battery. If the starter turns/cranks the engine over normally, the starter is ok. Then look at the starter solenoid as a potential problem. A continuity/electrical test on the key switch is a good idea. If the electric shift lower unit is not energized properly, it defaults to forward gear. In case the lower unit is not working properly, you can still drive it home. That's normal. I'm sure you will get some additional/better advice from one of the other experts on this site.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

fred, you said it started with a remote starter button. That means the battery, solenoid, and starter are OK. Furthermore, you went into great discussion about the shift. The shift has absolutely nothing to do with starting. And it will ALWAYS be in gear when not running. So, move on to the real problem.

You seem to have a basic knowledge of testing. What you need to do is first check the fuse. If the electric choke works, the fuse is ok. If not, the fuse is in the red wire, near the starter solenoid. The second thing you need to do is check the voltage at the two small nuts on the starter solenoid while somebody turns the key to start. There should be 12V on one and zero on the other one, and the solenoid should click. If not----

1. Has 12V on both-----the safety switch is bad or misadjusted, or the throttle is advanced too far. The safety switch is there to prevent starting at high throttle settings. It is closed at slow settings, and open at anything above proper starting settings. Note: It also is very easy to damage (burn-out) by improper jump starting. If you accidently connect a full 12V to it, you can't disconnect it fast enough to prevent frying the contacts inside.

2. Has 12V on one and zero on the other one, but solenoid does not click------solenoid is bad

3. No voltage on either when turning the key to start----trouble is ahead of that point. You have to find it with further checks. The current flow is the red wire from fuse to the red connector plug, to key switch, then through the white wire back to the red connector plug and finally to the small nut on the solenoid. Any fault in that route will prevent 12V from reaching the small nut.

4. It is easy to diagnose with some orderly checks. Or you can spend hours and money on it with guessing.

fredmeyer

Cadet

the starter works fine. I have hooked up a remote starter switch to the starting solenoid hand have started it that way. I've looked for a fuse around the control box and also around the engine area and cant seem to find one. I do not call myself a mechanic like most of us out there I have more time than money so I just keep tinkering with it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Look for the fuse in the wiring , it is near the solenoid.----Black rubber connecter with a short ( 5/8" long ) fuse.-------Most auto parts stores have those in stock.----------Look for a safety switch at the motor on the throttle arm, it prevents cranking when throttle is advanced too far.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

I had that same motor for 10 -15 years, used it regularly and really liked it. Put the box in neutral, try slightly moving the throttle lever back and forth at the box while turning the key.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

The safety switch is clearly shown on the motor parts page.----Remove the white wire, ground it and see if it will crank.-------The fuse is clearly shown in the motor wiring parts page too.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

able to crank it with a remote switch to the solenoid.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

shoot. My manual for that motor is upstairs somewhere in the garage (have a manual, but no longer have the motor). It's dangerous to work from memory, but I recall that there is a plastic device up in the top of the shiftbox, It's probably just under the top plate -- buttons go through holes in the piece. I think it's purpose was to keep the motor from revving in neutral, but the piece broke in my motor and I simply ran without it. Without that piece in place, though, I think there was an effect on the starting system -- which was remedied by moving the shift lever around a bit while the neutral button was depressed and I was trying to key start the engine. I THINK that might mean the starter circuit was built to be interrupted with the engine in neutral but the throttle advanced too far. Or it may mean that the electrical connection to the push button shift box was a little tenuous, and fiddling with the lever simply made the connection. As a start. you might unscrew the top plate and see if you can locate the plastic piece, and see if it's intact.

If I get my hands on the manual, I'll see if I can offer anything more. In the meantime, though, it would be good if you picked up at least a parts manual for the '70 85. (Like I said, I thought it was a good motor and didn't have any issues with the electric gearcase.) It's possible that there are some issues with electrical connection/harness at the push button unit (or the unit itself, of course, which is encased in a rubber boot as I recall, and can easily be removed from the control box for examination and testing.) I think I've seen them for sale on Ebay.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

the starter works fine. I have hooked up a remote starter switch to the starting solenoid hand have started it that way. I've looked for a fuse around the control box and also around the engine area and cant seem to find one. I do not call myself a mechanic like most of us out there I have more time than money so I just keep tinkering with it.

Just do as I said. If the choke works, the fuse is good. Then do the other steps. Those are what a knowledgeable pro would do if you took it in and paid bucks.

There is no shifter/starter lockout on the 1970 controls. Just the safety switch on the throttle (at the motor).

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

well there you have it, fredmeyer. Don't let him charge you.

Take a look at number 1 in F_R's post (#3). I think if the plastic stop in the remote box is in place, as I've tried to describe, the throttle would likely not be advanced too far. But if the stop is broken, as it was on my motor, it is possible to advance the throttle to the point where (presumably) the working safety switch would prevent you from starting the motor. Step number 1, I suggest, is simply to rock the throttle lever a little with the neutral button depressed, while trying to key start the engine. That's what a user might do. No charge.