Evinrude 20 Hp (year, compression , etc.) pictures attached

gab

Cadet
Hi to all, I have a 20 Hp Evinrude that I am about to tune-up for the upcoming fishing season. The engine didn't run for the last two years but was running just fine. I want to make sure it won't fail and that it will develop the power required. I have a few questions ... and I might have a few more during the tune-up process. So, here are my questions ;

1- The data plate on my transom mount is missing, I would like to know wich year it is so that I can order the proper parts. I will post pictures so you can see the color and paint scheme. I think it might be around 1986 but not sure.

2- I did the compression test with the engine cold (in the garage not heated , probably between 0 and -5 celsius ) the results were 90 PSI on each cylinder. Which seem a little low, but maybe considering the cold engine and the fact that it did not run for two years could be the reason for these low values.

3- During that compression test I had the spark plugs and their wires removed, I realised after cranking that I did not ground the ''ignition boxes'' to let the energy dissipate. What part could have been damaged because of that ? FYI , I cranked the engine maybe 50 turns (rope start). I just hope I did not damaged any electrical modules or whatever...

4-When I removed the spark plugs I realised that there is oil on them, probably my oil/gas ratio was too rich. The ratio written on the engine is 100:1 , would you rely on this ratio ? It seem a little low for me...

5-Which product should I use to de-carbon my pistons , they look black from the spark plugs holes. Is it worth the money to take the head off and make a better cleaning ??

Now I try to join the pictures, thank you.

P.S. My english is not that bad but it's not my first language so i'm sorry if there is a few typing mistakes :p

Attachments

• P1040220.jpg
    P1040220.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 0
  • P1040219.jpg
    P1040219.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1040225.jpg
    P1040225.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1040226.jpg
    P1040226.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 0
  • P1040227.jpg
    P1040227.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 0

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Evinrude 20 Hp (year, compression , etc.) pictures attached

Hi, gab :welcome:

#2. 90psi is satisfactory for rope starting.

#4. 100:1 was withdrawn after about a year 50:1 is the correct mix.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Looks to be an 86 model.-------100:1 was a sales promotion.---Some folks would think that it must be better quality if it can run at 100:1 ------------Hopefully previous owners ran it at 50:1---------Not to worry about black pistons at all.-----Find the thermostat and test it.---They often fail in the open position and that will result in black plugs.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Seafoam is a great product to decarb your motor. Check the FAQS on this forum for details.

Test spark to see if all is still well. As you know now, always ground the leads when cranking over, or disable spark.

gab

Cadet

Thanks to everyones for your replies !!

jasper60103

Commander

gab,
welcome aboard.

Nice motor and sounds like you have a good plan.
If this is a "new to you" motor, don't neglect changing the lower unit oil and water pump.
Also, be sure to update your location in your profile so we know where you are.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

jasper

gab

Cadet

Thanks Jasper for commenting my thread, I have planned to change the lower unit oil and to overhaul the water pump as well. There is other maintenance that i would like to be done before the summer. This is what I would like to do before the warmer days :

- condition check of the lower unit seal behind the prop...look like I have a leak in that area
- condition check / regrease of the propeller shaft
- fuel pump overhaul
- carburetor clean and adjustment
- spark plugs replacement

I think this is about the major stuff I would like to do. I will try to take pictures at every step, and I might come back for with more questions hehe

gab

Cadet

Do you guys know...I checked on the BRP?s website and the part number for , let say the carburetor repair kit, is not the same for the 1986 and 1987 and other years around that. Do you think that the part numbers for these years are interchangeable with eachothers, knowing that I am not 100% sure that my engine is 1986 ?? Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Yes we do know !--Judging by the stripes on YOUR cowling it is a 1986 model.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

??????

gab

Cadet

All right racerone, you seem sure so I will look forward to order parts for the 1986 model. Thank you

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

gab, your question is good. Don't order '86 parts based on somebody telling you your motor looks like an '86. Call BRP and ask the tech. staff there whether the kits can be interchanged, then make a decision.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Is there no welch plug anywhere on the motor> About the size of a quarter and will have serial number on it.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

maybe on the rear of the powerhead, top or sides? sometimes the only way to tell.

gab

Cadet

Humm, you're right. I will try to contact BRP to make sure about the year. And about the welch plug, the is something engraved on it but it's not the serial number, the number is c720682. Does it tell something to somebody ??

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

I don't come up with anything, gab. Somebody here may still come up with something, but if you call BRP give them the number. As a parts or serial number, the tech staff might be able to track it for you (doesn't appear to be a model number). Then ask them the parts question you raised. But hold off a little and see if anyone here can come up with the info. either on the parts or the number you provided.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

That is the serial number. Now, it is a Canadian built motor, from what you just posted. I track serial numbers, but not that new.

Call a Canadian BRP dealer, and they can help, if they are not that lazy.

gab

Cadet

I have sent a message to BRP...let see how long I will have to wait now.