oil mixture

Last fall before storing my boat, I think I might have put 4 cycle oil in my 110 Johnson which is a 2 cycle. I only added 5 gallons of gas to about 5 gallons already in it. I ran the boat for about 10 minutes. Do I need to drain this fuel out and start over with a good 50:1 mixture before starting it up this spring? Thanks for any help.

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: oil mixture

2 cycle oil has no detergent in it, 4 cycle oil has detergent in it which will cause it to not lubricate a 2 cycle engine properly. I would both drain the old gas mix and fog the cylinders.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Check the top secret file at the beginning of this forum.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You can purchase an aerosol can of Bombardier Fogging Oil from any Evinrude dealer. The can has instructions on how to use it. It's good stuff.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I would add some good TCW3 oil for that 5 gallons you miss mixed.It won't even notice the the miss mixed fuel.
Just don't pound the motor too hard till you get the fuel used up.
She'll smoke a little more but the final mix will be something likle 30:1.

I would add some good TCW3 oil for that 5 gallons you miss mixed.It won't even notice the the miss mixed fuel.
Just don't pound the motor too hard till you get the fuel used up.
She'll smoke a little more but the final mix will be something likle 30:1.

How much of the tcw3 oil should I use for this 5 gallons---say about 6 ounces for 5 gallons?

kbait

Commander

13 oz would make a 50/1 mix with straight gasoline. Since you already put enough 4 stroke oil in for 50/1, I'd say half of the 13oz (6.5 oz) would be sufficient to make sure you have protection. You'll be running too much total oil, but you probably won't notice anything but a bit of blue smoke.

Good luck!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Before you so anything, pour a cupful of the fuel mix into a clean container. look at the color. 2 cycle oil is dyed (red, green, blue are most popular), whereas 4 cycle oil is not. If the gas looks like it has a brown tinge, it is likely mixed with 4 cycle oil. If light green, blue or red, it is probably mixed properly.

Before you so anything, pour a cupful of the fuel mix into a clean container. look at the color. 2 cycle oil is dyed (red, green, blue are most popular), whereas 4 cycle oil is not. If the gas looks like it has a brown tinge, it is likely mixed with 4 cycle oil. If light green, blue or red, it is probably mixed properly.

I definitely put 4 stroke in it. Went and pulled cover off and found the bottle that I used. I think I will siphon the fuel out and start over with a good 50:1 mixture and won't have to worry about anything. Ran good the little bit that I ran it. Don't think I ran it enough to do any damage---about a mile at half throttle. Thanks for all of the help from you guys.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That multivis oil is not good for mixing with gasoline. Now if it had been SAE 30 non detergent, you could have added some TC-W and run it w/o issue