1998 Johnson 90HP SPL Question.

James R

Commander
Going to look at this motor tomorrow. Is this a carburetor model with the newer style VRO or is it fuel injected.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1998 Johnson 90HP SPL Question.

A little hard to tell without the model number. That year, Johnson made a crossflow carbed 90 degree, a carbed 60 degree and a direct injected 60 degree. One of the carbed 90 degree crossflows still uses the conventional (old style) premix fuel pump. Usually the "special" models indicated a low-cost model-at least it did in prior years when they were termed the "88 special." Still rated at 90 hp, usually that "special" model came without the VRO type fuel pump.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Post a model # ????

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

I have the '92 88spl and it is a great motor. They were sold to a more commercial market as the VRO had an unacceptable failure rate. Pre mix was reliable and the motor is a workhorse known for running even with problems. It's easy to work on and maintain and parts and help are readily available. If you need 90 HP I would highly recommend it!

James R

Commander

Thanks for the input guys. Checked it out. Nice and clean, good comps and runs well. XE90TSLEUA. The only one I see in B.N that has a similar model number is XE90TSLECM. Anyone know the significance of the last two letters. It is a standard 50:1 mix pump I am happy to say. Also bought the '98 Aquasport 175 and galv' trailer it came with. Nice package and well looked after. Will do my usual service, carbs and lower unit and all should be good for when the weather warms up.
Thanks again.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The reason the last digits are different is because your engine is a 97 Evinrude, not a 98. The EU indicates 97, the letters EC indicate 98. The last (final) digit is a factory production run letter which is of no importance to us consumers. It's not unusual for a boat factory to use a 97 engine on an early 98 boat. Warranty is the same. Usually they discount the boat somewhat during it's sale to the original owner.

James R

Commander

Thanks for the response emdsapmgr and for clearing that up. Never thought to look at a different year. That word "assume" creeps in once in a while.