1995 Evinrude 9.9 cover won't latch.....

hooterville

Seaman
I have a 1995 9.9 Hp evinrude E10RELEOE that has problems with the engine cover latching. When i bought it it had the cover taped with electrical tape. The lower engine cover seems to be on straight and the cover fits on it good as well as the hook on the front of the cover is seating good. The latch doesn't hold the cover down and would probably blow off during transit to the lake. i have ordered the metal clip that goes in the part on the lower engine cover. This cover isn't like the larger hp engines that have a lever on the front and back.

the clip i am ordering is part #7 and inserts into part #6 . As stated above the cover latches down into these parts. Seems to be a poor way to secure the engine cover IMHO.

Here is the picture of the lower engine cover.

Attachments

• evinrude cover 9.9.jpg
    evinrude cover 9.9.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 49877.jpg
    49877.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 1

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1995 Evinrude 9.9 cover won't latch.....

Try the parts you ordered and get back to us after installed. That was a P poor set up.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

In 97 they went to a better set-up.---See your dealer and see if if it can be up graded.----Perhaps pieces from the earlier motors ( 91 and older ) can be adapted.----Agreed it is " mickey mouse " the way it is now.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

my 94 has trouble unlatching, sometimes feels like it will break when trying to remove it, maybe that is what happened to yours:confused:

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Should be able to adapt a cowling latch from say a 1955 Johnson 25 HP.-----They used metal back then.----Old time quality is better than new plastic junk.

hooterville

Seaman

Well here is what I did to fix my problem of the hood coming off. I bought 2 rubber hood type latches off eBay. I popped the 2 rubber bumper thingies off the lower engine cover. The bracket that holds the rubber part has 3 screw holes in it and two of them lined up with the holes that held the bumped thingies. The I had to drill holes in the Hood to hold the other bracket piece. It I installed one on the left and right side of the hood and I believe it is there to stay. I have a better engine hood that I will replace the one on the picture with when I am satisfied everything will hold up.

Here is the rubber latches from eBay and pics of the install.

Rubber Hold Down RV Boat Hood Latch Stainless Steel New | eBay