1972 50hp Johnson

Tinker Mark

Recruit
My motor worked fine, until I replaced the H2O pump. The motor won't go into reverse now & once shutdown it won't restart because the 20amp fuse is blown. If I replace the fuse it will start again but still not shift into neutral or reverse once shifted into forward. I tested the shift solenoids & both tested @ 5-6 Ohms, any suggestions?

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 50hp Johnson

Did shift wires get pinched when you re-installed the lower unit ?---------Pull it apart again.------Hook battery - to casing and apply 12 volts + to both green and blue.---------Motor should shift to reverse after about 2 turns of the driveshaft.------Use a vicegrip to turn the driveshaft.

Tinker Mark

Recruit

Did shift wires get pinched when you re-installed the lower unit ?---------Pull it apart again.------Hook battery - to casing and apply 12 volts + to both green and blue.---------Motor should shift to reverse after about 2 turns of the driveshaft.------Use a vicegrip to turn the driveshaft.
I dropped the lower drive & the wires appear intact. However could there be a brake in the insulation I'm not seeing that allows water to short out 1 or both wires when in the water? If so can I change just the solenoid harness?

Tinker Mark

Recruit

My motor worked fine, until I replaced the H2O pump. The motor won't go into reverse now & once shutdown it won't restart because the 20amp fuse is blown. If I replace the fuse it will start again but still not shift into neutral or reverse once shifted into forward. I tested the shift solenoids & both tested @ 5-6 Ohms, any suggestions?

I removed the lower drive & the wires appear intact, however could there be a break in the insulation of 1 or both wires I'm not seeing which allows to short the wire(s) when in the water? If so can I change just the wire harness for the solenoids?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I assume that the problem did not exist prior to you removing the lower unit? If so, somehow you have created a short in the shift wires leading to the lower unit.... a wire shorting out to ground.

A break in a wire would not cause a fuse to blow... it would need to be a short.

Tinker Mark

Recruit

I removed the lower drive & the wires appear intact, however could there be a break in the insulation of 1 or both wires I'm not seeing which allows to short the wire(s) when in the water? If so can I change just the wire harness for the solenoids?

I will next time I can work on it. My post about removing the lower end was in regards to the first action I took when it didn't shift correctly. Also I will check the wiring that I might've disturbed during my initial re-work.
sorry for adding to your 1st post, I'm new to this forum thing. And thanks for the information.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

It shifts into forward gear when no power is applied to the solenoids, this is done by spring action.-----I would take the lower unit off agian , look at the wires and test it when it is off.

Tinker Mark

Recruit

I assume that the problem did not exist prior to you removing the lower unit? If so, somehow you have created a short in the shift wires leading to the lower unit.... a wire shorting out to ground.

A break in a wire would not cause a fuse to blow... it would need to be a short.

Yes a broken wire wouldn't blow a fuse or give me good Ohm readings. However a wire with broken insulation might go to ground when submerged, correct? So it looks like either way I have to drop the lower end & inspect the solenoid wires to eliminate that possibility before I move ahead. I can Also run Racerone's tests once I know the wires to the solenoids are intact. Thanks everybody for you willing & helpful advice.