1956 Johnson 18 horse value

cbourbeau32

Seaman
Is the motor in the title worth 350 if it sparks and has good compression? It's in very good cosmetic condition.

Thank, Charlie

nwcove

Admiral
Re: 1956 Johnson 18 horse value

jmo...but no...its not worth 350 unless it is in amazing shape. spend 150, and a few hours work....then maybe your number is realistic to the right buyer. again...jmo.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

AOMCI has, or used to have, a Q&A on "What's my motor worth?" I think it would be a good idea to check that out. You seem to have a number of motors for sale. Peter Hunn's book on old outboards would also be a good read. And you can check Ebay and CL for similar motors. You will want to get your facts straight to make comparisons. Johnson did not make an 18 hp in '56, so the yr or the hp is wrong.

Last edited:

cbourbeau32

Seaman

It's not for sale by me. I'm looking to buy. I'll verify the year with the seller. Thanks

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Those are very reliable and tough motors, but it would have to be in good running condition and ready to hit the water, for that price. If you're willing to go through the work of getting it in great running shape, you will have a reliable motor for years. Without being able to start right up and hit the water, it has the value of a parts motor.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

same suggestion, cb, buying or selling.

jb93

Petty Officer 1st Class

These guys know their values...but...if it has good compression and the lower unit gears are ok the most you would probably have to spend on it to bring it up to speed is around $200-250 (ignition components, plug wires, head gasket, carb kit, lower unit reseal, impeller, odds and ends parts). $550-600 for a great running 18 horsepower motor ain't bad vs the cost of a new engine ($2500 ish). It would help the case for $350 if it came with a pressure tank and/or remote controls. $350 is high, but if you put it perspective it is still modestly priced power. I'd look to find one in similar shape for $100-150, but it wouldn't be the end of the world to pay $350 if you plan to run it for years to come.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

hey cb -- apologize for being a little short with your question. There are just no real definitive answers to most value questions, particularly general ones, on these old motors -- depends on too many factors related both to the motor and to the seller/buyer. jb93 gives good info.

Last edited:

cbourbeau32

Seaman

No offence taken old boat. I texted the owner and they gave me the model and serial no's AD-10 M and 1481732. Can you tell by these numbers the year and hp?

I can get a pair of running mid 50's Johnson motors, one 5HP and one 7HP for 350 for the pair but I'm not sure how well they'd push my 14' v hull.
Thanks, Charlie

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

mod AD-10 is a '56 7 1/2. There is actually an old thread here on the model. Good luck. (do a search here.)

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Agreed that AD is the 7 1/2 HP ------Wrong identification of motors is very , very common.----In some areas of the land you can pick-up good 18 HP project motors for $50 or so.----If you can not service these motors yourself they are a poor investment.----Shop labour rate makes repair cost skyrocket.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Price depends a lot on who you are buying from.

Would I spend $350 on a motor that has been sitting for decades, or cannot be shown to run? Nope.

Would I spend $350 on a nice 18hp that has been gone over by an AOMCI member and has new ignition, carb cleaned and rebuilt, water pump, gearcase resealed, etc...? Of course.

There is a big difference here. There is also a big price difference between an 18 and a 7.5. I cannot ever seem to get as much for my 7.5s, I usually lose on them or break even as top end seems to be about the 250 to 300 mark after doing a thorough mechanical restoration.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

cbour: I run an 18 on my 14 aluminum and with two people it really moves. I also run either my mid 80's Johnson 7.5 or my 58 7.5 Evinrude on some of the horsepower restricted lakes in my area. Those motors with two adults will get it up to a decent / on the slow side plane. Not bad at all. It's up to you on how fast you want to move. I'd prefer the 18 but the smaller motors do a decent job. With a 5 you can do a slow plane but only with one person. Any lower horsepower and you're just saving yourself the trouble of rowing.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

...but still an improvement on rowing! unless rowing is your thing, of course.

Weight distribution in a 12 or 14 foot aluminum makes a big difference. When I fish alone, I like to use an articulated tiller extension, and sit in the middle seat. For 5 through 10 hp, the weight distribution makes hull speed much better -- faster. The 18 has enough power, and really the 10 as well, to pop me up on plane steering from the rear seat. The 3 is a little faster with my 225lbs in the center seat, but it's still only a three (great troller). I'ts been three or four years, but I like to take the five motors mentioned (all '57s in my case) to a lake I like in upper Michigan. I'm there for some fishing, but fooling around with and testing out the motors is as big a part of it.