1984 Evinrude Til/Trim will not go down

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have read a ton of threads on this and I just cant seem to find exactly what my problem is. I have a 1984 evinrude with the power tilt trim. With the switch I can run the motor up, but when switching down all I hear is the relay clicking. I replace both relays and still have the same problem. I checked connections and all are good. I replaced the fuse in the relay box as well. I also skinned back the blue and green wires before they enter the motor itself. When the switch is engaged I have 12v to either blue or green depending on direction I have selected. Motor is stuck in up position, and will not go down at all. Still tried to go up when I select up so i know power and motor is working. When I select down all I get is clicking on the down relay which is new, and I have switched out with up to make sure. Any Suggestions?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1984 Evinrude Til/Trim will not go down

Trace the two wires from the electric motor to its connector and unplug it.

Connect the battery via smaller jumper wires to those two electric motor wires. If the motor is good, the motor should run in one direction causing the PTT to either raise or lower... reversing the wires should cause the electric motor to run in the opposite direction.

If this takes place... the motor raises and lowers, then there is a voltage drop somewhere possibly due to corrosion at some terminal in the relay box, the switch, of at the electrical connector of the electrical motor irself.

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1984 Evinrude Til/Trim will not go down

Trace the two wires from the electric motor to its connector and unplug it.

Connect the battery via smaller jumper wires to those two electric motor wires. If the motor is good, the motor should run in one direction causing the PTT to either raise or lower... reversing the wires should cause the electric motor to run in the opposite direction.

If this takes place... the motor raises and lowers, then there is a voltage drop somewhere possibly due to corrosion at some terminal in the relay box, the switch, of at the electrical connector of the electrical motor irself.

You were absolutely right. Not sure how I missed it. The connector is completely corroded. After disconnecting and putting +- everything was ok. Just need to clean Connections. Thanks a billion. I totally overlooked the simple fix and decided it had to cost money. Haha