1980 Evinrude 85 HP No Spark

bdsloan

Cadet
Started my 85 Evinrude motor today for the first time since last summer. The motor started but ran rough as expected for the first start up. I ran the motor for about 5 minutes and the motor ran out of gas. Put gas in it and got the motor restarted but it did not want to stay running. When it didi start it ran for a 30 seconds or so and then died. I first suspected a fuel issue but I put a spark tester on several plugs and there was no spark. After the motor cooled down for about an hour I turned the motor over and the spark tester showed a strong spark and the boat started. I quickly killed it and put water to the motor (taking about 5 minutes) and when I went to restart it, there was no spark. Any ideas? There is no spark at any cylinder.

Thank You for any hep.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1980 Evinrude 85 HP No Spark

Not unusual for this to happen. When ignition components get weak, they tend to fail once the engine heats up to normal operating temps. Will run fine when cold, the not when it's warmed up. Coils usually not the problem. The stator, timer base and power pack are suspect culprits. Since these are all fairly pricey, you might want to do some troubleshooting first...You can find some excellent troubleshooting information on this exact system from this website: cdielectronics.com. Look for their troubleshooting guide, then to the specific year for the correct info.

bdsloan

Cadet
Re: 1980 Evinrude 85 HP No Spark

Thank you for the help. Ill try the website and let you know what the fix is.