Help! Motor mount bolt pushed into water passage - what to do?

blugrasmaniac

Seaman Apprentice
So, I was in the process of torquing down the retainer bolt for the upper mount on my 175hp Evinrude V6, and although the manual says torque to 100ft-lbs, after quite a bit of cranking, although the bolt was getting tighter, something just didn't seem right. I stopped around 60ft-lbs to take a closer look.

When I did, I found that the bolt has bottomed out and pushed through the block wall into the water passage. See the pictures below.

I'm not really sure why the bolt is too long. I took the block to a shop to have the cylinders shaped up, and they took the mount off for me and put it in a box. It is possible, though, unlikely, that I got the wrong bolt back.

Anyway, bottom line - how can I save the block?

20140125_192349_resized.jpg 20140125_192334_resized.jpg

Last edited:

blugrasmaniac

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Help! Motor mount bolt pushed into water passage - what to do?

Looking closer - the bolt is the right length, it just went in too far. The retainer wedge went too far down, which can only mean that the mounts themselves are pushed too far apart.

They had some corrosion on them, which I scraped off - It didn't look that bad, but maybe it was enough to make a difference.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Pack the bottom of hole with aluminum devcon epoxy and shorten bolt 1/2inch

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Fazt, where do you get this devcon epoxy ?? Is it like the old Marine Tex ??

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Is it like the old Marine Tex ??
Its better than Marine tex and sold at Grainger. A buddy in the aerospace industry(Grumman) turned me on to this years ago as they use it use it to repair uh-oh's. I have used it for years to repair blocks,bearing race steps,lower units and such.It is one of the few that have a MIL spec.

Cc'd
Aluminum Putty (F)
Aluminum-filled epoxy putty for dependable non-rusting repairs to aluminum castings, machinery and equipment widely used in HVAC applications.
KEY FEATURES

Repairs air conditioning system components
Listed under NSN Stock #8030-00-051-4511; #8030-00-670-8553
Bonds to aluminum and many other metals
Fills porosity in aluminum castings
Can be machined drilled or tapped using conventional metalworking tools
Qualifies under Mil Spec MIL-PRF-24176C, Type II

daselbee

Commander

I had a badly pitted block deck (closed deck looper). The pits had actually eaten thru to the water jacket below. I filled the pits with this Devcon, smoothed it down, engine is running strong 4 years later, and no water leaks.

Regarding this guy's problem...I am not seeing these pics right....are we looking at the exhaust adapter or the bottom of the block?
And why is there a mount bolt splitting the middle of the two exhaust cavities? That is WAY too far back away from the mounts...what am I missing?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Thats the bottom of block and it uses motor mounts held in with wedge system.

blugrasmaniac

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the input - I'll give the epoxy a try. I may use some of the gasket sealing compound on the threads, too - if that will help prevent water leaking.

blugrasmaniac

Seaman Apprentice

Turns out the manual was wrong. 100 ft-lbs is WAY too much for a 3/8 bolt. It's likely supposed to be 100 in-lbs, which is in the correct range for a bolt of this size.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

What manual do you have ?? The motor mount bolts that go to the steering arm are 100 ft lbs. The single bolt that holds the wedge in is 18-20 ft lbs.

Last edited:

blugrasmaniac

Seaman Apprentice

you're correct on the torque values. I have the OMC Service Manual for 150, 150C, 175

See pics below:

20140206_195618.jpg

20140206_195358.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Damn misprints.:blue: