1959 Johnson 35HP RDSL-21 Gearcase Questions

I have the skeg off on my 59 Johnson and i would like to know how to remove bearing number 39 in the diagram it is the one under the pinion gear. I have the gear out but need to replace the pinion bearing as there was metal in the gear oil and no other gears/parts were deteriorated or grinded off. The link below is the diagram. Also any installation tips would be much appropriated.

Thanks

http://www.*****************/parts/...1&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Gearcase+Group

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1959 Johnson 35HP RDSL-21 Gearcase Questions

Your link doesn't work. But if you mean the large bearing with the loose rollers, there are a few ways. #1 would be the special tool. #2 would be a slide hammer tool with fingers that expand inside the bearing shell. #3 is do what I did about 50 years ago and still have it: Find a piece of steel about 1/8" thick x 1/2" or so wide. Grind a radius on the end of the piece, roughly the same as the radius inside the bearing shell. Now try to approximate the inside diameter of the shell and cut your steel piece the same length. Then grind the newly cut end the same radius. If you got it right, you can put it inside the shell by tilting, then leveling it. You may need to tinker and adjust the length. Once you get it in there, stick a rod down from the top, against your new "tool" and tap it out.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Once you get that bearing out, you will find a three-piece thrust bearing above it. One of the flat washers is a bit larger diameter than the other. The large one goes in the case first, then the flat rollers, then the smaller flat one.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Great idea Frank!

What kind of shavings did you find?

I got the bearing out. Any advice for putting the pinion bearing in. Does this go in from the top or the bottom of the gearcase.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

If you heat the gearcase evenly near the bearing that bearing will likely fall out.