1999 115 hp johnson outboard

ljf

Seaman
Does anyone know why my engine sounds like it is disengaging from the starter during start proceedure?
It sounds normal the first couple of cranks but then it sounds like the starter is free spinning.
Does this sound like a bendix problem?

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1999 115 hp johnson outboard

ljf, I think you are right. sounds like it may need a little wd-40.good luck

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Two things to do. Both cheap and easy.

1. Remove the negative battery cable from the engine block and clean it.
2. Wind the starter drive up with your fingers (reverse of normal rotation). Clean the shaft and apply a light lubricant.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Can you get the motor started ??

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Does anyone know why my engine sounds like it is disengaging from the starter during start proceedure?
It sounds normal the first couple of cranks but then it sounds like the starter is free spinning.
Does this sound like a bendix problem?

If the engine has fired for a split second it will often cause the starter to free spin until you release the key and then turn it again

ljf

Seaman

Thanks for the reply,Boobie. This engine was given to me a couple of months ago and
has always been hard to start. The last time I tried, It free spun at least a half dozen times in a row.
This is what do.
1-sqeeze primer bulb
2-turn key to place where I get alarm tests
3-turn key to start and push in
If it won't start then, I push the throttel up a little.
and start all over.
Any suggestions?

ljf

Seaman

Thanks for the reply,Bosunsmate. I'll keep that in mind.

ljf

Seaman

Thanks for the reply ,Fleetwin.
I"ll check that first.

ljf

Seaman

Thanks for the reply,tblshur.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Thanks for the reply,Boobie. This engine was given to me a couple of months ago and
has always been hard to start. The last time I tried, It free spun at least a half dozen times in a row.
This is what do.
1-sqeeze primer bulb
2-turn key to place where I get alarm tests
3-turn key to start and push in
If it won't start then, I push the throttel up a little.
and start all over.
Any suggestions?

Sounds good, just dont hold the choke in too long as that can flood it. Two and a half seconds max.

Im not too sure whats going on with this free spinning. If you could post a video of whats happening it would be useful to see it to help determine whats going on

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Just double checking that you squeeze the primer bulb til its firm

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Check your spark once using an open air gap spark tester set at 7/16" gap. Do this with the spark plugs in and plug wires disconnected.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As far as actually starting (cold engine), do this:

1. Prime the bulb.
2. Advance warm up lever.
3. Turn the key to ON-NOT start.
4. Push in the key and count to eight.
5. Release key.
6. Turn key to start.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The key should be PUSHED IN and holding it in when cranking it to start !! As soon as it fires, stop pushing. When it's running you may have to feather it to keep it going. All you're doing by just pushing it in and not turning it over is what the primer bulb pushed in the system. By holding it in when cranking the primer is working as it should. 'Nuff said.

Last edited:

ljf

Seaman

Thanks to everyone with replies.
I'll test later in week.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

If the engine has fired for a split second it will often cause the starter to free spin until you release the key and then turn it again

this is te explaination for your starter disengaging and acting li its spinning freely......(well it is sinning freely) your motor is ALMOST startin ,and the start bendix senses his and pulls out.....but you need a tune up, becaue the motor wont say started.

#1 make sure you have a fully charged battery with good clean connections and are getting all the batterys juice.

#2 Prime the Bulb till I is hard.( important)

#3push in and HOLD hey7-8 seconds

#4 push in ad turn key to start

the is no FORCED "squirt" of fuel.....when you prime the bulb, you pressureize the fuel system, then when you push the key in, you open the door for gas to enter DIRECTLY into the manifold.

if the motor fails to start after few tries, you may need to prime AGAIN...to RESTORE pressure

bob

ljf

Seaman

Sounds like we all have different opinions of the proseedure as well as how the primer operates. I just tried to start it again and only succeeded when I installed the lanyard. The lack of a lanyard does not seem to make any difference after the engine started.
I think I'll check power this weekend.Maybe I'll get somewhere. So far this makes more sense to Daffy Duck than me.

FlaCowboy

Ensign

I am no mechanic but do you have the right cranking amp size battery fully charged?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

the lanyard wasn't on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its part of the stop circuit!!!!

if you YANK the lanyard off....it should make the motor stop.....if you take it off slowly....it will not stop th motor!!!

its important

bob

ljf

Seaman

Thanks for the reply,Bob. what you are saying is wthout the lanyard,the engine might or might not start?