1957 Johnson Seahorse 18HP value

cbourbeau32

Seaman
What would be a fair price to pay for a good running 1957 Johnson Seahorse in 18HP?

Thanks, Charlie

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1957 Johnson Seahorse 18HP value

Offer $300 with a working pressure tank.

So he says, "shoot, the pressure tank alone sells for $125 on Ebay."

...and you offer him $175 without the tank (which he says he can sell on ebay....)

Last edited:

cbourbeau32

Seaman

Thanks, it doesn't show a tank in the picture. I've got an email in to him. Isn't there a way to bypass the pressure tank?

Thanks, Charlie

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Yes, you can install a fuel pump and use a newer single line tank.

Price depends on many things, cosmetic condition the most important to me. I may pay only 50 bucks for one particular motor, or 600 for another. Again, all depends.

Is it original, or has all the mechanicals been gone through?

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral

picked up a roadside sale... FD 15hp for 25$ 4 years ago. ( incl. a leaky pressure tank and... a Mercury plastic tank and.... a solid rack on wheels ))

converted it to a Mikuni pump. changed coils condensers, points impeller

works great

so.... the price depends on what you have and seller's knowledge....some don't have a clue

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

Charlie, you lose me when you start talking about putting a fuel pump on that old beauty -- not that you can't do that (and I have), but you can also paint it camo and stick it on a duck boat. So as a hobbyist, I would rather see you get a run of the mill 70s J or E that somebody has used on their pontoon boat. So you need to know that a cheap motor is not necessarily just a...... cheap motor. Maybe you know that. Maybe your seller does too.

end of sermon :)

JRegier

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I picked up a 15hp evinrude from I suspect the same era and of course the model tag is missing and it's the wrong cowl on it. Is there a plug on the motor I can use for identification?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

The term " good running " is very misleading.-----------------There are some folks who think that if it runs then there is nothing wrong.---------------If you have to take one of these motors to a shop for work then there really are no good deals.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I picked up a 15hp evinrude from I suspect the same era and of course the model tag is missing and it's the wrong cowl on it. Is there a plug on the motor I can use for identification?
Start a thread and take a pic, or use serial number on welch plug. Small round disc about size of a quarter on powerhead.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

all in on Racerone's post. "good running" and "was running last time it was used" always used. And even a free motor can become real expensive real fast if you can't work on it.