1958 Evinrude 3026 questions.

JRegier

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I started pulling apart one of the 8, starting with the only one I actually wanted... And...
Compression looks good! 82psi per cylinder! Let's get this motor running!!
Obviously I need a carb kit and there's hardly any plastic left on the coils so I'm going to need coils and probably best at the same time to do new points and condensers too.

The parts that worry me are in the LU... I dropped that and inspected the water pump (impeller didn't look bad but I might as well get a new one anyways) and the housing is pitted. Should I be worried about pitting in this? Also, the driveshaft was pretty dirty but when I pulled it out I noticed a worn groove right around where the oil retainer sits. It's nothing deep but should I be worried about this as well?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1958 Evinrude 3026 questions.

groove doesn't sound like a problem (maybe a feature?) Driveshaft will clean up. Pitting in the housing can wear on the impeller, though, so it would be good to replace the housing if you can find it. If you can't come up with one, you could sand out the interior of the housing, and use it if the sanding doesn't take too much material away. Another option is to lightly sand, then cover with a thing coating of West System epoxy, or equivalent, then sand to smooth.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If the groove in the driveshaft isn't to bad maybe it will clean so it's serviceable. After you put new seals in it have the gearcase pressure tested.

JRegier

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good idea, boobie. How many PSI? I could do it myself.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

6 to 8 psi. Submerge in water and look for bubbles while you spin driveshaft and shift. Then increase to about 12 psi and do again.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

I recently resealed a lower unit (not a J or E, but same issue.) I did the pressure test and came out good, then rigged a MityVac to vacuum test. I didn't have a great seal, but was able to hold vacuum for about 45 seconds -- not great, I guess, but going to go with it and see if the gearcase oil remains clear of water. Don't know if testing the vacuum is overkill, but just a thought.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you can make up your own pressure tester fine. Other wise take it to a dealer.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

yes, think a note of caution suggested there. I used a foot pump (bicycle type pump that I use to inflate boat fenders). Can hold the pressure way down.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You need a gauge on the tester to make sure you have the proper pressure.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

have a gauge on the pump, and can keep the pressure low. I can't swear to the absolute accuracy of the gauge. Actually, I could probably dial in one of my air compressors to 10 lbs but find the manual foot pump safer for this, not to mention more convenient. I've done them with the lower unit submersed, and out of water using soapy spray.

Erik.C.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow... It looks like those coils have seen better days. (probably 56 years ago, lol)