Part for Johnson J15EEIA O/B

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have a question for you Johnson O/B folks. My neighbor has a 1991 Johnson 15 HP Electric start, tiller handled O/B engine. He some how managed to break the top plate of the carburetor. It is made out of some type plastic composition and the top plate OR the carb itself is not available anymore. SOOoooo Does anybody know of a suitable sub for the top plate? It also holds the advance timing linkage. So without that top plate, it is basically toast. He glued it back together and it seems to be working. But I do go out with him on occasions and I don't like thinking it is just a problem waiting to happen while out away from the docks... So I have a vested interest in getting it fixed right!

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Part for Johnson J15EEIA O/B

good luck finding that carb cover. maybe look for a used one off the auction sites? broken carb cover is common problem. you can use a older metal carb (pre 86) .
dino

gm280

Supreme Mariner

good luck finding that carb cover. maybe look for a used one off the auction sites? broken carb cover is common problem. you can use a older metal carb (pre 86) .
dino

Thanks for the reply and info. I have been looking around, but even when I do see one available, the cost is so high that I'm absolutely sure my neighbor would never buy the part. I will keep looking. In fact iboats does list that part at over $80 dollars for it, if they actually do have it, but again, my neighbor is not going to pay such prices. He doesn't think the O/B is worth much more and being how it runs (with a glued cover plate) he doesn't see the issue... I'll keep looking for some type cover plate and maybe see one in a good range and buy it...

Sandor27

Seaman

Leeroy's ramblings has a great write-up on carb covers and how they changed between the years. Unfortunately your 1991 looks to have the early plastic design while a 1992 would have the mid design. Read $81 vs. $9 to replace!

Johnson_carb

Check www(dot)boats(dot)net for the best prices on these parts. Good luck!

raczekp1

Lieutenant

i would buy older carb type (full aluminium one), i think it less then 80$

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Check the Top Secret Files at the beginning of this forum and look for salvage yards.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I just checked the BRP parts site. It's still available and they only want $99.97 for it. Ha-Ha-Ha. I could see $20.00 for something made out of CPS.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

You must remember when you buy / order a single part from a large concern that the cost of shipping and handling is included in the price.---Also the reason that most nuts and bolts are priced at $4.00 or so for a single item.