2000 Johnson 130 steering/shaft removal Model j130vxsss

Shorebum

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have reached the point where I need to remove the steering shaft /arm from my motor which is still attached to the boat. Can this job be done by removing the two bolts attaching the arm to the adapter plate between the powerhead and midsection and then the four bolts in the bottom swivel bracket mount. The idea being to leave the swivel bracket and transom mount in tact on the boat and removing the entire powerhead midsection assembly from the boat. I have read that on some models the powerhead must be removed to get at nuts that hold the two upper bolts attaching the arm to midsection. I would like to avoid unnecessarily separating the powerhead from midsection. Will rebuild power trim during this operation also.
I am hoping the steering arm can be sandblasted and salvaged, but I am not too optimistic. Any lines on a good vendor to get used... A new one is still available at $456
Any pointers appreciated

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2000 Johnson 130 steering/shaft removal Model j130vxsss

If you remove the upper and lower motor mount bolts you should be able to remove the entire motor with a hoist. You may have to disconnect shift and throttle cables and electrical wiring harness. The gear case may have to come off do to where the shift rod runs.

daselbee

Commander

I have a good steering arm. PM me if interested.

Shorebum

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the info Boobie. I think you are correct on lower unit, was going to remove and do water pump anyway. Trying to get everything done this spring, once we thaw, so no troubles when the flatfish arrive. Any advice on dealing with the big nut on the bottom of the steering/swivel shaft Cheater bar on the steering arm and cheater on ratchet and socket?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You got it...........