1973 Johnson 65 Hp fuel pump and lines

notactjack

Cadet
Ok I got this 1973 65 HP johnson. it was partially disassembled so I don't know how it goes back together. I have a manual but it doesn't help. I dont see how the fuel pump is mounted on. Also I can only see one hose mount on the engine (vacuum or fuel inlet). So how do I mount the pump? And where is the fuel inlet and where do I get vacuum to run the pump. If anyone had pictures of the side of the engine it would be awesome. Also I wanted to make sure I had the starter solenoid figured out and then. I also don't know where the relays for tilt n' trim would be or if I have to make my own harness for that.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 Johnson 65 Hp fuel pump and lines

Does the motor have a tilt / trim system ??----Near the starter you see 2 bolts.-That is where the bracket that mounts the fuel pump goes.-------The fuel pump will have a cover with a nipple.------You blow into that nipple and where air comes out is pump discharge to carburetors.----The other nipple is the pulse port and a hose goes from there to a nipple on the block below the starter

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If you leave the cable going to the red plug rubbing on the ground stud like it is in the picture, it will soon wear through the insolation, and sparks will be flying.

notactjack

Cadet

Raceone:

Ok so its the bolts with the black heads right....I don't have another bracket so I guess I have to fab one up... I can tell the inlet hose on the pump but where are the hose barbs fittings that are on the engine ...I can only see one.

I think that if you look at the stud that goes from the starter solenoid to the starter and go straight down that would be the vacuum port. Then the fuel inlet would be about two inches to the left. There is another hose connection there but its a much smaller hose. I'll edit the photos for clarity. (if you click the first photo my edits will show up)

It has a pump and motor for trim but with just bare wires. It functions but I think I'll have to make a harness for it.

F_R:
yeah that would be bad I just moved the wires over to get a less obstructed view. Thanks for pointing out the grounding stud I was going to use a different bolt but that looks like it will work the best. Do you have a suggestion on the gauge of wire to use from the battery to that bolt.

Ouch just looked up a bracket on ebay ..49.99 It looks like just an L I guess I'll make something.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner

There is only one on the engine block for the ( vacuum ) pulse port.------The outlet goes to the carburetors.-------Post a picture of the trim tilt motor.

notactjack

Cadet

Or maybe here is a better one. At the end of the screwdriver I am pointing to a hose is that where the fuel is supplied to the carbs?

Picture of Trim motor

I just found a fitting on the middle carb. It's small and only the middle carb has it. I am now assuming that the fuel should go to the middle carb through that fitting. But what about the hose in the picture the hose was routed below the carb to the starboard side of the motor but I don't see a barb fitting for where it should plug into.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The hose that your screwdriver is pointing to is the drain hose from the intake silencer. The pulse hose is marked in previous picture.

Fuel flows from the tank hose connector to the inlet nipple on fuel pump (the black filter cover). Outlet nipple connects to the carburetor(s). Pulse nipple goes to crankcase pulse nipple. That's all there is to it.

The center carburetor is supposed to have a short hose connected to that small fitting, and goes to a plastic tee. From that tee, two molded hoses lead to the upper and lower carburetors. Darned if I remember how the fuel pump connects into all this, a large fitting on the center carb??. Need better picture of that side of the carburetors.

Note that the two molded hoses are just that---special molded hoses. There is not enough room in there to put regular hose. It will kink if you try to bend it that sharp.

notactjack

Cadet

The hose that your screwdriver is pointing to is the drain hose from the intake silencer. The pulse hose is marked in previous picture.

Fuel flows from the tank hose connector to the inlet nipple on fuel pump (the black filter cover). Outlet nipple connects to the carburetor(s). Pulse nipple goes to crankcase pulse nipple. That's all there is to it.

The center carburetor is supposed to have a short hose connected to that small fitting, and goes to a plastic tee. From that tee, two molded hoses lead to the upper and lower carburetors. Darned if I remember how the fuel pump connects into all this, a large fitting on the center carb??. Need better picture of that side of the carburetors.

Note that the two molded hoses are just that---special molded hoses. There is not enough room in there to put regular hose. It will kink if you try to bend it that sharp.

Ok got it. Here is the pic of the fuel inlet on the carb. I still have to fab a carb bracket then I can install the lines.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

OK, now I see. The fuel inlet from the pump is the vertical fitting on the center carburetor. It connects to the nipple leading to the tee fitting internally.

I see somebody got around the kinking problem by using plastic hoses. Whatever floats your boat, I reckon.