Tilt release 50 hp Johnson

Quick3201

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just purchased a new project. 50 hp Johnson on 14" boat. Runs good, can't seem to get manual tilt release to work. Is in down position, tilt lever on left standing at the rear of the boat looking forward. Little black knob has "tilt" on it. Move it up or down, engine still won't lift up.

Model :J50BELCIC, Ser #: J5460734. !981???

Can anyone point me to an online parts/repair/owners manual??http://forums.iboats.com/images/smilies/mad.gif

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tilt release 50 hp Johnson

Remove the tilt lock rod that the reverse lock mechanism grabs onto. If the engine still won't tilt up, then obviously it is frozen in place at the tilt/steering tube area.

If it should tilt okay with that rod removed, then the grab hook portion of that mechanism needs adjusting.

Quick3201

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, know of where I can get parts diaghram?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Does the engine tilt at all?

I picked up a 50hp that would not tilt up either and I found that the Stop Link on the same side as the lever was broken and was catching on the pin that hold the engine fully up.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Just for the record, you should be able to read "TILT" or "RUN" when you are in the boat. Position it accordingly.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Parts diagram at, shop.evinrude.com. Have your model #.

Quick3201

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks to all who helped, I ordered a shop manuel.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Smart move, they are invalueable. Sadly though there will be times when you have a question that even the manual will not address.
i have one for my 1975 50hp, one for my 1987 50hp and need one for my 1983 60hp.

Quick3201

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Smart move, they are invalueable. Sadly though there will be times when you have a question that even the manual will not address.
i have one for my 1975 50hp, one for my 1987 50hp and need one for my 1983 60hp.
I found out that I have to reach under the engine and move the lock plate just a hair more to get it to release. The tilt release handle doesn't pull it far enough up to release. Did not see an adjustment other than bending the rod, an option??? Also, the engine is extremely hard to raise, any suggestions on how to free up the piviot point that doesn't require major surgery?? Thanks Guys.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I found out that I have to reach under the engine and move the lock plate just a hair more to get it to release. The tilt release handle doesn't pull it far enough up to release. Did not see an adjustment other than bending the rod, an option??? Also, the engine is extremely hard to raise, any suggestions on how to free up the piviot point that doesn't require major surgery?? Thanks Guys.

those are heavy motors, its takes some effort to tilt them when new.....

plus, unfortunately Iboats doesnt sell the FACTORY manuals...

the manual you really want and should have is this one:
1981 OMC Johnson Evinrude Outboards Motor Service Repair Manual 50 55 60 HP | eBay

those cylmers,and selocs are very generic, but i guess they are better than nothing

bob

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Yes they are heavy. Most likely there is something worn, bent or twisted if it is not releasing. OMC did also offer a tilt assist cylinder for these engines though they are no longer available new. May be able to locate one on ebay. They look like a shock absorber and mount between the 2 clamp brackets.

It's to the point that I went out and found a parts engine that has a working Power Tilt'n Trim unit and I can't wait to get it on my engine and try it out.