1983 50hp Evinrude dies under load

e50belcta

Recruit
Hi, I have looked through old threads but cannot find an answer.

I have a 1983 50hp 2 stroke Evinrude on my Picton Delta. The engine is an "E50BELCTA"

When I bought the boat it had stood for 3 years since being serviced and not used. I put fresh fuel in it flushed it through and took it out to try, it hesitated as it accelerated and then cut out after 1 minute.

Knowing that it had stale fuel in it previously I stripped the carbs and cleaned them in an ultrasound carb cleaner for a few hours and then re-assembled with new gaskets, new float, new needle and run a jet file through every jet to insure the size is as marked on them. I then replaced the fuel pump diaphragm, spring, filter gauze and gaskets. I replaced the fuel lines, primer bulb and fuel coupling. Next I checked the reed valves, replaced the spark plugs and ran it up on the flush muffs.

The engine runs beautifully on the flush muffs, to check the fueling I ran it at 3500rpm for 20 mins on the muffs - perfect running, returned to idle smoothly and would rev high and return to idle every time I tried it.

Thinking I had cured the problem I took it back out on the water, it started perfectly and after warming on high idle I put it into gear and cruised out of the marina, as soon as I open the throttle it picks up, hesitates and then cuts out and will stall or if I return the lever it comes back to idle.

The fault is there as soon as the revs increase under load, it does it if I creep the lever up or go straight for WOT. I have checked the primer bulb is firm and checked the fuel bowls and plugs - there is definitely getting fuel through.

The engine will run again at idle after a bit of cranking but will not pick up at all. As soon as I got home and run it up on the muffs it worked perfectly at all RPM.

I am guessing that there is an ignition fault and it is loosing spark or getting a weak spark under load that is being blown by the increased fueling. The engine does not pop, bang, misfire or splutter, it does not run on 1 cylinder so I cannot think that it would be carbs or individual coils. The engine starts quickly and smoothly when cold or warm so I am also assuming that the compression is good.

Has anyone had any experience of this or any ideas for ignition diagnostics? I do not own a DVA to test with at the moment.

fireman57

Captain
Re: 1983 50hp Evinrude dies under load

I am guessing that you missed something in the carbs because you said it will rev if you increase the throttle slowly. Next time out try hitting the primer button and see if it picks up. You could have missed some stuff in the high speed jet or picked up new crud from your tank. If it picks up and goes then that is the problem.

e50belcta

Recruit

It cuts out if I gently increase the revs or if I go straight for wide open.

Pumping the primer or pushing in the key to flood the engine makes no difference.

When I pulled the bowls off to check the fuel level the jets were still clear as well as the jet funnel that goes to the Venturi - it's not like any fault I've had before and I would be happy to see something in the jet so I knew how to sort it! Very frustrating.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

The high speed jet is found in the carburetor bowl and not in the upper body.-----Were they removed for cleaning ??-A compression test is a must on these motors.---------Have you made sure that the carburetor throttle plate is not opening too early.--------Running at high revs on the muffs is a mistake, you should not do that !!

e50belcta

Recruit

The main jet in the bowl was removed and put in the ultrasonic cleaner as well as the pilot jet in the top, both jets had a jet file run through to insure they were clear before re-fitting.

How do I check the throttle opening time?

It seems odd to me that it will run up on the muffs and it run up to top revs on the water before dying the first time.

Thanks for your help

e50belcta

Recruit

What should the cold and hot compression psi?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

I have never been concerned with hot or cold compression.Values are not published either.------On a motor like your the compression needs to be even between the 2 cylinders, that is the value I look for the most.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Have a look at your pistons, see if they look like they are cleanish/silvery.
A leak in the headgasket can occur at higher rpm as the higher water pump pressure goes into the motor, it wont happen on the muffs as there is no back pressure

fireman57

Captain

Just make sure that the throttle plates on your carbs open and close at the same time. You can do this with it not running and your airbox off. You might do a link n sync. The procedure is easy and there are plenty of listings on how to do it on here. Just do a search. Also, these engines will run pretty well on one cylinder. You might take a timing light out the next time and make sure that you have spark on both cylinders. It will react differently under a load then on muffs.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Just looked in the manual for my 60hp and everything points to fuel supply. Tank, hoses, air leaks, or there is still a blockage in a carb.