1980s johnson running in cold weather

norman2013

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys, I have a 1980s johnson 15 hp outboard that runs flawlessly in the summer and down to about 40 degrees but when its colder then that the motor likes to stall out unless i pull the choke about 1/4 of the way out. It also runs fine if i have it full throttle, but when i go to slow down it likes to die on me. I do a lot of duck hunting in 30 or below. Is there any way i can make this motor run better in the cold or am i just out of luck?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1980s johnson running in cold weather

You may have to compensate with opening the low speed mixture needle.---------Also make sure there is a thermostat installed and that it is working properly.----There should be no problem with cold weather for that motor.

kbait

Commander
Re: 1980s johnson running in cold weather

Agree.. if thermostat is operating correctly, it may take a bit more choke to warm-up (1st minute) in cold temps, but should run just like summertime after that.

Once warm, adjust the low speed needle. Start at about 1.5 turns out from gently seated while idling slow, turn in slowly until it starts to sneeze (lean sneeze), back it off (richen) and find the highest rpm at your low idle setting, and turn it out just a bit more until the rpm's just begin to slow and you'll be set.

Good luck!