1984 E150ANCRS Tachometer

SEGAangler

Seaman
I've got a 1984 E150ANCRS and not getting anything on the tach (every once in a blue moon it'll move but not consistently nor does it seem to coincide with actual engine rpm). I've got good voltage...12.xx...on the purple lead and a good solid ground on the black. Is there any way to check my signal/pulse on the grey wire? Is it anything that would show up on a meter? I do not have a DVA but have tried with a multimeter and got nothing (tried AC and DC settings). I've had the boat less than a year and it has been this way since day one so I have no other history or info pertaining to it. If possible I'd like to ensure it's not a wiring problem before I spend money on a new tach. Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1984 E150ANCRS Tachometer

The only way you can properly check a signal going to the tach on the gray wire is with a peak reading volt meter or a volt/ohm meter with a DVA adapter.

James R

Commander

Three things. A bad Tach, a bad connection or broken wire or a bad rectifier regulator.
Find the grey wire at the terminal strip on the motor and do continuity checks between that and the signal terminal on the tach. Disconnect the wire at the terminal strip before testing. If you do not have good continuity then back up and do the test on that wire in sections.
Terminal strip to big red connector. Big red connector to the tach and if necessary the small connector at the remote control, if you have that style, to the tach and big red plug to the small connector. If continuity is good then testing with another tach would be the next step. If all this does not give you tach indications then the rectifier regulator is Kaput.

Last edited:

SEGAangler

Seaman

I put a new tach in just awhile ago (I just decided to pick one up while I was out)--nothing. Just checked continuity from the strip to the signal terminal and I do NOT have continuity. I will have to try to narrow it down and isolate where the break is tomorrow or Monday and I'll post what I find. On the terminal strip I have 2 grey wires that are connected together. Should I have continuity from both or just one of those?

SEGAangler

Seaman

I beat the daylight and found the break; it was in the control box. I now DO have continuity from the terminal strip to the signal terminal. So with that and a new tachometer (set at 6 pulses--that is the correct setting for this engine?) it would seem a new rectifier/regulator is next. It will possibly be a bit before I purchase another but I will post back with the results when I do. Thanks again guys!