evinrude omc fitch fuel injection 1999 150 v6 electrical problem

ron090

Recruit
Hi,
I have a bit of a wiered problem with my evinrude fitch fuel injection 150 v6 1999, I was on a sea and started the motor and was plaining when the motor started to kick and missfireing, i pulled it up ashore and got it to the garage to diagnose the problem, first i changed the plugs with no results at all, the motor kept working worse and worse it shakes and runs extremely rich of fuel and is starting to pour oil even out of the propeller, then once it was a little dark and when i started the motor i was seeing sparks from the inside the coil bracket to the engine block and the spark continuity was low sometimes from the high tension leads so i decided to change the coils all the 6 of them and found one of the coils that was a little bit faulty as it had a tiny hole so i changed them all, no good results at all even after changing them, i changed all the high tension leads and cleaned all 6 injectors but still nothing and im still seeing some spark randomly and shortly around the engine block and the strange thing is when i pull out the high tension lead out of the 1st cylinder the motor starts to work like nothing has ever happened. Does anyone know what could this be:grumpy::confused:!! thankyou very much

1. spark running outside the high tension around the block.
2. motor works fine again with first cylinder not connected.
3. low spark continuity

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: evinrude omc fitch fuel injection 1999 150 v6 electrical problem

1. spark running outside the high tension around the block.
Is this a actual spark or glow around boots and wire? If its a popping /snapping arc make sure new wires are marine solid wire core not a graphite and install non conductive grease in boots and a wire tie to hold boot in place on coil/plug. If its a blue/green glow that a corona effect and will not effect performance but wires still need attention.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like some RF signals coming from that one cylinder causing the electronics on the motor to screw up.

urugol

Seaman Apprentice

The ficht fuel injectors are not serviceable, you should not be attempting to clean them they run very tight tolerances and you could do harm in attempting this. Did you clearly note the position of every injector and put them back in the same cylinder?

I would start by ensuring that your ignition coils are connected up according to each cylinder in the correct color code as per the attached. You mentioned you changed the ignition leads, make sure you have the correct spec don't assume a set of leads from an auto shop will be correct. Do you have the 90 degree bends on the coil side? If you are connecting straight ends to the coils I expect the engine will arc. Also make sure they are the correct length, for a 99 Ficht 150 these leads should be 527mm. Resistance should read between 760 - 960 ohms. Test your coils while you are at it, primary resistance 0.05-0.15 ohms, secondary resistance 225-325 ohms. Get some new plugs, index and install while you are there.

Attachments

• Ignition_Ficht_V6.jpg
    Ignition_Ficht_V6.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 2