130 johnson runs good on top end,wont idle

stikshooter

Recruit
New to the forum, and have a problem. I have a 2000 Johnson 130 that was sitting for about a year. I removed and drained the tank, replaced the filters(water sep. and in line fuel ) Got motor started and it idled fine and would rev up in neutral, but had no power in gear. Tore down the carbs and found trash in bowls, main fuel line breaking down so I replaced it and blew out all lines and fuel rail. Cleaned carbs and orfices with carb cleaner. Installed new in line filter and reinstalled carbs. Motor runs great at top end with lots of power, but will hardly idle now. I can sometimes get it to idle after spraying carb cleaner into intermediate orfice. What do yall think, carbs again?

roger3645

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 130 johnson runs good on top end,wont idle

Go to the frequently asked questions and look under awakening a sleeping engine, there are some good tips in there.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you should do the carbs again because there are some small jets in them that maybe didn't get clean.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

AND that is also an indicator of a air leak at the base of the carbs........did you use new gaskets........ a bolt could be slightly loose....... I would spray WD40 at the carb base when it is running and see if it changes the idle......if it does.....you have a leak. Check your carb mounting first.