1974 9.9 Johnson - Rewind Starter Issue

Putzaroni1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Learned my lesson for posting before spending at least an hour digging for an answer.
Please disregard.

Attachments

• MyRewindStarter.jpg
    MyRewindStarter.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 0
  • RewindStarterSchematic.jpg
    RewindStarterSchematic.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1974 9.9 Johnson - Rewind Starter Issue

The spring thingy is not in the right place.-Should go over that vertical tab.----Is the tab underneath the spring cup in the hole ? Is the washer in the right place ?

Last edited:

Putzaroni1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply. When I found a picture on the internet I realized that the "Spring Thingy" was kept in place by the notched piece of metal sticking up. Once I put it back over it is working again. One thing that does happen that I'd like to track down is after the starter hasn't been pulled for a bit when you do pull on it the first time it doesn't engage. I need to pull it out once, let it recoil and the second time I pull it, it works as expected. If anyone has seen this and can explain why that would be great but it's not a huge deal. I just figure since I've gone through everything else, I might as well get this working correctly as well !

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Some times folks lubricate that " spring thingy " but it must work on friction and be absolutely free of lubricant.--Try squeezing it together so that it has more drag too.