1984 185 hp Johnson no spark

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1984 185 hp Johnson no spark

Remove "all" spark plugs so that the engine can crank as fast as possible.

Rig a spark tester whereas the jumping gap can be set to 7/16".

Disconnect the large RED electrical connector at the engine... then jump the starter solenoid to crank the engine.

Do you have spark now?

endurance

Seaman

Motor spining fast hot battery inline spark tester was showing spark when i first changed key ignition now its not will try your tex

endurance

Seaman

Thanks Joe will try test if i get spark what is the problem thanks for your help i appreciate it

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Joe will try test if i get spark what is the problem thanks for your help i appreciate it

Even though you have installed a new ignition switch and did obtain spark momentarily, the following problem could still exist.

You, or someone else has connected a ground wire from some accessory to the Black/Yellow wire terminal of the ignition switch. If so, this would allow the negative/ground voltage exiting the accessory to travel to the powerpack via that Black/Yellow wire which would interfere/conflict with the powerpack's kill circuit. Note that any voltage, even a microvolt applied to that Black/Yellow wire will eventually destroy the powerpack.

NOTE: It is best not to attach any other wires to the two "M" terminals... Black/Yellow wire to raised boss "M" terminal only, and one (1) Black wire from the regular "M" terminal to ground only. Otherwise weird problems could exist.

The same scenario (of sorts) could exist within the instrument cable (wiring harness) which exists between the engine and the control/dash area. Many of these wiring harnesses lay in the bilge, coated with heavy moisture, or actually laying in water. This often sets up a voltage "conductance" situation whereas voltage is transfered thru the insulation of grouped wires.

Disconnecting that large RED electrical connector eliminates the above problems should they exist, steering one in the proper direction to correct the problem.

Last edited: