1988 evinrude Stator and Rectifier

mgusha16

Cadet
Hello, I'm not sure if both are bad or if one is bad. But when I tested the rectifier I got a reading both directions which I read means it's bad? But it seem to me that my starting battery is holing it's charge fairly well. I have tested everything to gas, spark, and compression and all that is fine. The boat Boggs when I give it gas. When I did the spark test it doesn't show a consistent light and not a bright light with that tool. I have brown goo that is hard coming from the stator it looks like. It almost looks like it belongs there. I don't know how to bench test a stator and what the reading is suppose to be when bench testing. Please inform me on how I am suppose to bench test the rectifier and stator. And what I'm suppose to get for a reading. Thanks!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 evinrude Stator and Rectifier

First. Need a model#. Second. Go to cdielectronics.com for test procedures.

mgusha16

Cadet

First. Need a model#. Second. Go to cdielectronics.com for test procedures.

Part number on the rectifier is 584423 I don't see that part number on the chart from that website. I have a 150hp. Then on the stator it says 5AU and 6AU I don't see a part number other then that.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Hello, I'm not sure I don't know how to bench test a stator and what the reading is suppose to be when bench testing. Please inform me on how I am suppose to bench test the rectifier and stator. And what I'm suppose to get for a reading. Thanks!

Really need to know the exact model .

BUT
A simple rectifier can easily be bench tested using the diode test range on a digital multimeter, but a rectifier-regulator is not so easy.

With the simple rectifier completely disconnected set the meter to diode test. Connect one lead to the red wire on the rectifier and the other to one of the yellows. Note the reading if there is one. Do the same for both/all three yellows. The readings should be similar, either no reading/very high reading, or a reading around 600-700, which is the forward volts drop for the diodes in mV
Swap the meter lead over and repeat the above.
If you got no readings before you should now get readings or vice versa.

Now connect one meter lead to the rectifier case ( or a black lead if there is one)
Repeat all the above.

The stator coil can be checked for continuity using a low resistance range. If there are three yellow wires you will get double the resistance reading between yellow and yellow/blue that you do between yellow/gray and either of the other two. (sorry I dont remember what figures to expect off hand, but quite low

BUT

if the battery is charging OK and holding its charge Ok when connected to the engine I'd not worry about the charging circuit.
You can check it, if you wish, by measuring the volts at the battery before you start then watching them with the engine running at normal speeds They should rapidly recover from starting and then rise as the battery charges to something like 14 volts if its a rectifier-regulator.
If its a non regulated rectifier the volts will continue to rise to a figure that will start to worry you!

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

OK you posted the model Hp while I was typing the above.

It is a water cooled rectifier-regulator. Above instructions for testing it do not apply!

Can test the contiuity of the coils on the stator though.

Can also check the charging as above.
If you have or can beg, borrow or steal a clamp on DC ammeter it would be worth checking the charging current.

mgusha16

Cadet

Okay so what can I do to test the rectifier then to see if it's bad? Since that testing you explained doesn't work