power trim/tilt on Johnson outboard

GN

Recruit
Accidently completely backed out the manual relief screw for the power tilt on a 1985 115 hp Johnson outboard. Anyone know how to reinsert this screw. There seems to be a spring clip in the way of the treads in the motor mount.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: power trim/tilt on Johnson outboard

There is a circlip in there to prevent removing and loosing the screw !------This will now have to be removed and thrown away.-----Now that you know you only need to back it out 2 turns or so , you do not need to install a new clip.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

How did you get passed the snap ring ?? That should be removed before removing the valve.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Screw the valve back in and then get a new snap ring if you can't use the old one. Then see if the T/T still works.

GN

Recruit

How did you get passed the snap ring ?? That should be removed before removing the valve.

Just unlucky I guess. My challenge now is to figure out how to remove that darn clip

boobie

Supreme Mariner

They make a special pliers to do that. You can maybe try a couple of ice picks to get it out. If you damage it you can always throw it away. But if you want to install a new one you should have the pliers.

GN

Recruit

They make a special pliers to do that. You can maybe try a couple of ice picks to get it out. If you damage it you can always throw it away. But if you want to install a new one you should have the pliers.

Thank you. I will try that this weekend. Now the reason this all happened is that the power tilt stopped going up, but would still go down. This happened after disconnecting the power (battery) and then reconnecting. The motor and everything else still works fine. Any ideas what to look for?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The power trim unit uses two solenoids in the power trim control box on the back of the powerhead. One for the up movement, one for the down. Perhaps the up solenoid is bad. They are identical, so you can swap them and see if it works after the swap.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Just unlucky I guess. My challenge now is to figure out how to remove that darn clip

You've no doubt broke it when backing the manual release valve over it. Dig it out with a sharp scribe.

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

when all is quiet you should hear the relay click when you press the switch. This will rule out the switch. I currently have a problem w mine going up. I hear the click but no motor noise.