Johnson 2 hp piston rod assembly procedure

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
Finally gave up on soaking (after 2 months) the stuck piston rings. From what I found I could have soaked them until the next ice age. I pulled the piston and had to exert a lot of effort to remove the rings (one in pieces) and it wasn't easy to do as I didn't want any damage to the piston. I believe it was electrolysis and from indicators believe the motor was dunked in salt water and left to sit. Otherwise there is zero wear. The bearing races don't even have a mark on them and the cylinder wall has no grooves or wear. I'm ready to reassemble and have 30 needle bearings that have to sit in place while I connect the two halves. Recommendations? I have CRC engine assembly lube (moly and graphite) and was planning on using that. Also, I'm going to break the glaze on the cylinder wall with a small hone. Any recommendations on that? thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 2 hp piston rod assembly procedure

I find no fault with your grease plan. We used Vaseline for years before OMC came out with their own Needle Bearing Assembly grease.

I find it remarkable that there is no bearing or crankshaft damage after a salt water dip. Probably didn't happen.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

What I found was a little bit of white salt-like deposits and small areas of rust inside the crankcase. When I went through the ignition I found a little bit of the same white mineral deposits on screws, etc. One of the piston rings had to be almost chiseled out due to what I can only explain as electrolysis. There are no other signs of corrosion on the motor including the lower unit to indicate it was used a great deal in salt water. I don't think it hit the water running but somehow (dropped?) it has more salt-like deposits in unexpected internal areas than any other motor I've worked on. Whoever had it gave up on it and let it sit a long time. The piston even had three round distinct stain-like markings on it where it aligned with the three round exhaust ports. It obviously sat and has some salt deposit residue. As for the bearings and crank looking great; maybe someone shot enough fuel through it and it 'rinsed' these internals. I don't have any idea other than what I'm speculating by the clues I have. The motor won't talk.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

What's the model # ??

boobie

Supreme Mariner

How do the wrist pin bearings look ??