1998 Evinrude oil injection removal opinions please

blmccall

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Folks
Need opinions
I have a 1998 Evinrude 3 cylinder 35 HP model E35QLEC S/N G04523507
I would like some opinions on the subject of removing the oil injection system. Up to now I have varying opinions from removing and mixing 50/1, adding 100/1 to gas and leaving injection on motor, doing nothing and using as is system
At this point I am very confused but tend toward removing it.

Thanks much.
Lyle
My email is EDIT This would be the best way to give me your opinions

Last edited by a moderator:

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1998 Evinrude oil injection removal opinions please

One of the most hotly debated subjects on this forum.

Search: "VRO disconnect".

The subject is rarely discussed on Mercury/Yamaha/Suzuki areas. Why, have no idea.

The OMC system is reliable if kept clean/fresh oil and warning systems functional.

I will say this. If anyone tells you that the oil injection system ruined some cylinders but not all, they don't know what they are talking about.

Last edited:

blmccall

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. I appreciate the quick reply
Lyle

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Every dealer I have talked to about this mixing unit ( not a VRO ) has said " take that off and throw it away as far as you can "---------I own a number of these 3 cylinder motors to be rebuilt because of failure of this unit.----Note that this is not a VRO unit and is not operated from the crankcase pulses.----It is not a reliable unit plain and simple.-----------The 3 cylinder 35 HP is a wonderful motor with main bearings that are the same as the 70 HP motor.

blmccall

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. I have heard this a lot so will get dealer to remove it asap when ice is gone from my lake.

Lyle

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Quite simple to remove it yourself --Nothing to it.---Just a few screws and it is off.--Then hook up a hose.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Get rid of that SOB. I've seen a lot of those motors blown because of it. Disconnect it, take off the oil tank and ect and mix your fuel 50:1.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Make sure you get rid of the oil mixer too. Plumb the fuel lines to the fuel pumps and carbs as if the oil system was never on it.

hidef

Lieutenant

The system is very easy to remove and can be done in less than an hour. Once you remove the oil tank and mixing unit you attach the fuel line that ran from the mixing unit to the carbs around the port side of the engine directly to the fuel filter that sits in front of the mixing unit discarding the short hose that ran from the fuel filter to the oil mixing unit.

Evinrude Cylinder & Crankcase Parts for 1996 35hp E35QLEDC Outboard Motor

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

(VRO Changeover Judgement Call)
(J. Reeves)

The VROs first came out in 1984 and have been upgraded quite a few times. In my opinion, back around 1988, they had perfected them but I think that they were upgraded even more since then. As long as the warning system is operating as it should, I feel quite at ease with them.

Some boaters have voiced their thoughts such as "What if that overpriced plastic horn should fail while I'm under way for some reason, and the VRO decides to fail five minutes later?" Obviously that would result in a big problem which really brings their fears into view.

The word "ease" is the key word though. If one has the slightest feeling of being ill at ease with that setup, then they should take the route they feel more at ease with. A judgement call each individual would need to make on their own.

(VRO Pump Conversion To Straight Fuel Pump)
(J. Reeves)

You can convert the VRO pump into a straight fuel pump, eliminating the oil tank and VRO pump warning system, but retain the overheat warning setup (and fuel restriction warning if so equipped) by doing the following:

1 - Cut and plug the oil line at the engine so that the oil side of the VRO pump will not draw air into its system. Trace the wires from the back of the VRO to its rubber plug (electrical plug) and disconnect it.

2 - Trace the two wires from the oil tank to the engine, disconnect those two wires, then remove them and the oil tank.

3 - Mix the 50/1 oil in the proper amount with whatever quantity fuel you have. Disconnect the fuel line at the engine. Pump the fuel primer bulb until fuel exits that hose with the tint of whatever oil you used. Reconnect the fuel hose.

That's it. If you want to test the heat warning system to ease your mind, have the key in the on position, then ground out the tan heat sensor wire that you'll find protruding from the cylinder head. The warning horn should sound off.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

This 3 cylinder motor is not equipped with a VRO pump !!!!!!! ----It has a mixing unit and 2 simple fuel pumps in series.-----You remove the oil tank and the attached mixing unit and then connect a hose.

blmccall

Seaman Apprentice

The system is very easy to remove and can be done in less than an hour. Once you remove the oil tank and mixing unit you attach the fuel line that ran from the mixing unit to the carbs around the port side of the engine directly to the fuel filter that sits in front of the mixing unit discarding the short hose that ran from the fuel filter to the oil mixing unit.

Evinrude Cylinder & Crankcase Parts for 1996 35hp E35QLEDC Outboard Motor

My motor is a E35QLEC which might be different than a 1996 EL35QLED

racerone

Supreme Mariner

???---If it is a 3 cylinder 35 HP then the oil mixer / oil tank is the same for all production years.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

soo...Does he have a VRO or a mixer, and is one more dependable than the other? Whatever it is, I wonder if the system is set to 100:1 as was briefly used. Guess if that's true, keeping the system should mean conversion to 50:1. Just wondering....

blmccall

Seaman Apprentice

Hi. Its the O M S system with the mixer. Oil tank is on the motor. I think the oil inj. ratio depends on RPM. But not sure. Most "experts" say it should come off asap I have sold the boat as of yesterday but want to warn new owner about the problem.
Lyle

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

yes, saw your other post and want to bump this one up. If you are advising the buyer, the more important issue could be the ratio. If he thinks it's 100:1 because of something he saw referenced on the motor or mixer, he should be told it's 50:1, regardless of whether he keeps the system. He won't have the motor long at 100:1.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Not sure why this is confusing.----Those 3 cylinder motors had 2 fuel pumps and a mixing unit and not a VRO pump !!-------It should be tossed away as far as you can.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

not confused about your post(s) racerone. saw them three times (or was it four?). saw Joe's post as well. saw reference too 100:1 as well. The lister is passing on info to the owner -- apparently your information and advice at face value. I wouldn't be comfortable with that.

blmccall: Why don't you tell the buyer about this forum, if he doesn't know, and make sure he knows the safe mix is 50:1, right?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

These 3 cylinder motors do not use a VRO type pump.---------Also the mixing unit does not have a " no oil warning circuit " on it.----The warning circuit is for low oil in the tank , which is of no use if oil level does not go down.-----I bought 3 of these motor from one place and all 3 had mixer removed.--Rebuilt more than one of these motors too.---A well designed heavy duty motor with a lousy oil mixer on it.

hidef

Lieutenant

The 35 and 25 triple uses an under cowl oil tank and mixing chamber. It is garbage as it is very prone to failure and you will never know it until it fails. The problem is with the check valves in the system. The valves fail allowing gasoline into the oil tank which will dilute the oil. Before you know it you are running the engine on pure gasoline and then it dies. The low oil warning light and no oil lights will never light because the oil tank is solid full of gasoline. The sensor is nothing more than float gauge, it tells how much is in the tank and nothing more. If you go to one of the sites that post the parts schematics you will find the oil tank under the "cylinder and crankcase" and the mixing chamber under the "fuel system".

So the safe thing to do is to remove it and pre-mix 50:1 with TC-W3.

Last edited: