fitting a water pressure gauge

micknjo

Cadet
Can anyone help me with fitting a water pressure gauge to a 1977 Johnson 140 with no tell tale

cr2k

Captain
Re: fitting a water pressure gauge

Usually there is a fitting (Plug) like 1/8 in. on top of the block near the heads.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The factory telltales came out in the 78 model year. They drilled a hole in the exhaust cover to feed the telltale. Likely they created a boss (thicker part of the cover) in order to tap the new hole. I'd be inclined to buy a used bubbleback outer exhaust cover from a later model. Should bolt right in place. There have to be plenty of these used covers laying around in salvage yards.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Look on the side of the #1 cylinder near the head.---On earlier V-4 models there was a pipe plug there where you could check water pressure.-------They discontinued the plug but the boss is still there.---Post a picture of that location if you like.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Try and put it on top of the block if you can.

micknjo

Cadet

Problem with living in the UK there are no salvage yards for parts like that. When you do find them they cost more than an engine.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I've had excellent luck with salvage parts from Boat Recyclers of Wilmington, on the US East Coast. They advertise a lot on ebay. Tons of reasonably used parts.