Johnson 88 Special

Can anyone give me info concerning the overall approval of this engine as far as being Used but in excellent condition?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 88 Special

Those are an excellent motor.-----In production for about 20 years,------------The 88 was a " marketing " thing and it came without power trim tilt.-No oil injection either.------Same as the 90 HP model as far as parts are concerned.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

I had an 1987 88 Special with T&T. The motor was VERY good, and most people considered them bulletproof. Loved my old motor.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

The original concept of the 88 " special " was a motor without trim and tilt or the oil injection.-----Lots did have the power trim installed at the dealer.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

All above comments are right on target. The engine is as good as it's maintenance performed by prior owners. Do a compression check and look at the lower unit gear oil before purchasing. That will tell you a lot about it's condition. Power trim is a really desirable feature-I'd discount it's price if it did not have it.

Capt Ken

Commander

You saw many changes in the engine numbers when they changed from rating HP at the flywheel to rating them by the prop shaft. That was the reason the European engines was always out running the American engines of the same HP.

You saw many changes in the engine numbers when they changed from rating HP at the flywheel to rating them by the prop shaft. That was the reason the European engines was always out running the American engines of the same HP.
Sounded like dirty pool to me.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

What European outboard engines are we talking about here ??

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Outboard ratings (US) changed in 1983 when Japanese outboards came into the US full force.

The Japanese outboards rated themselves at the prop in KW and HP. The American outboard producers had to comply to stay competitive.

The "88" was a commercial/advertising play by OMC to compete with Force. It was a crossflow 90 with different badging and some thrills left off, as mentioned.

Most came with trim and tilt but many had no oil injection. A lot of dealers added that.

It IS a 90 Crossflow.

Last edited:

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Judging by the model # I'd guess it doesn't have trim. 'Sides that those are great motors. Not the most economical but very reliable.

I'm presently building a hopped up version w/140 intake & exhaust, scalloped block & pistons, porting, etc. Oughta be a real runner.

I would definitely try to discount the price due to lack of trim.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Agree with V153. No trim/tilt a major bargaining chip.

Trim and tilt can be added. Systems are all over ebay for a few hundred $$. Adding requires a minor dismantle but not that hard.

You can also go with a CMC unit.

Judging by the model # I'd guess it doesn't have trim. 'Sides that those are great motors. Not the most economical but very reliable.

I'm presently building a hopped up version w/140 intake & exhaust, scalloped block & pistons, porting, etc. Oughta be a real runner.

I would definitely try to discount the price due to lack of trim.
I will be posting a few pics later. Owner says engine does have trim and tilt.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

They are a good initial design, near bulletproof, but like anything, what has happened to it in the interim is more important now. A good motor that's been abused becomes a bad motor in a hurry.