1972 Skipjack. Replacing Tilt/Trim Motor and Reservoir Need Help Installing Guts

pierpont

Cadet
Replacing a 42 year old Tilt/Trim Motor. I have to re-install the old guts to the reservoir. While pulling apart the old unit, everything stayed intact except two parts. One is a tube or what they refer to as a "valve body can" and the other is a really small zerk fitting about 1/8 inch in diameter. I believe the tube goes over the screen shown on the attached photos. It fits over the screen but I don't see a way to keep it in place. The zirk fitting has me baffled. I see no place that this might go into the valve body or the interior of the reservoir itself. The inside of the zerk is threaded but there is no place to screw it on to. I don't like spare parts so if any of you have ever put one of these thins together, I'd love to get your feedback.

Thanks in advance,
Craig.

IMG_3621.jpgIMG_3614.jpgIMG_3615.jpg

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1972 Skipjack. Replacing Tilt/Trim Motor and Reservoir Need Help Installing Guts

you have a mercury pump the can valve body goes over the filter the other little part goes into the inside of the tank with the thread faceing up screw the filler cap into it , then put the valve body over the filter & lift the bottom half up the body valve should then slide into your zerk this holds the body valve in position

pierpont

Cadet
Re: 1972 Skipjack. Replacing Tilt/Trim Motor and Reservoir Need Help Installing Guts

IMG_3634.jpgIMG_3633-2.jpgIMG_3635.jpgThank you Durban for the quick reply. I see that the can goes over the screen filter and it looks as if its just pressed on lightly. The screen was in place but the can was not when I pulled it apart. The zirk still has me confused. Can you identify where it goes buy looking at my pictures? I can't see anywhere it might screw into the tank(reservoir). Thanks again for you help.

Craig.

durban

you have 2 holes for 2 caps 1 hole is to fill the oil the other hole is a breather hole , this zirk thing does it have a hole through it if does could be the breathing see if any of the caps fit the thread of the watcha ma call it thing

pierpont

Cadet

The fitting does have a hole through it. No check ball in it like normal zirks. The thread pattern doesn't match anything..anywhere. The new reservoir has both a filler screw and a breather screw so I should be good to go. I'm not going to sweat it. Maybe the original assembler 40 years ago misplaced a fitting somewhere and it ended up there. We will never know.

Thanks again for your help. Pretty amazing that I could get advise on this from someone half way around the world. Great forum!

Craig.

durban

some info for you , the trim motor of your mercury the one you have , from round 1974 to 1977 johnson trim motors can be used on those trim & tilt designs you have the armature sharft leghths are the same all you need to do is remove the bottom end shield of the johnson motor & it bolts on perfectly .:)

Last edited: