Evinrude fastwin help

Mr chainsaw

Cadet
Well howdy, this is my first post, so bear with me.
I'm 15 and I just got an evinrude fastwin. It is a 15 hp motor. I've been having problems getting it started and running, the low speed valve is not getting fuel. I have no idea how to fix this as I'm new to boat motors. I did everything short of boiling the carburetor. The motor has good spark and when I pour fuel done the carb it starts up(until it runs out). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
P.s- I have a sportwin as well, are any of the parts interchangeable?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude fastwin help

Sounds like a carb rebuild is in order.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

What is your starting procedure? There is a silver button on the pressure tank (are you still running the pressure tank or have you converted to fuel pump?), when you pump that 4 or 5 times does it get firm as the fuel bowl on the carb fills? Can you hear the fuel filling the carb bowl? If you are sure fuel is getting to the bowl, but not pulled through the motor, pull off the carb and clean/rebuild as needed.

If that motor has original coils, they will definitely be NFG regardless if you are getting spark or not. Have you inspected the ignition yet?

What is the compression?

Mr chainsaw

Cadet

Well, I use the fuel tank that came with the motor and it has a little plunger that pressurized the line. I get really strong blue spark. NFG? Compression ill test tomorrow. I know fuel is in the bowl it just does not get to the motor. I noticed that the little hole below the low speed on the left side is not plugged like it is on the sportwin. I've just rebuilt a 1923 Johnson 1.5 HP and I currently use a 1945 evinrude 10hp. I was wrong when I said this was new to me.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

this is an early to mid-50s 15? with a pressurized fuel tank (two lines)?

Mr chainsaw

Cadet

Correct, I just choke and pull until it pops and then I take it off choke. Low speed out1.5 turns and the high out 1.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

thanks. Your initial settings sound about right to get the motor running (might try one turn open for the low speed, and 3/4 for the high speed). It sounds like a carb issue, and it would probably be worth getting a carb kit (IBoats, NAPA, or maybe Ebay). You should pick up a parts manual at least, and maybe a service manual. If you don't know what year the motor is, get the model number off the plate and find out what you have so you can get the proper parts -- which is pretty easy for the old OMCs. The small screw under the carb bowl is a drain hole, I believe, and you probably have some leakage there. You could temporarily plug it and see if the motor starts and runs -- would be an easy test and fix.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Tazrig, excellent link thanks, just bookmarked it

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

That is a vent hole and should not be plugged. They are plugged by owners that don't understand what they are for. If they are leaking, there is an internal carb issue, be it float not floating, or needle not seating. Plugging the vent does not cure this issue, it only makes it worse.

So, if you are certain that fuel is filling the bowl, until the needle seats, (usually around 5 pumps on the primer button on tank), and you are still not getting fuel to the combustion chamber pull the carb rebuild and clean.

Funny story on the side. I repaired a QD16 for a fellow this past fall. He stated similar scenario. Well, turns out that he wasn't filling his carb bowl when he primed the button on the tank. He had the hoses reversed and the fuel was not making it to the carb at all :)

Not saying this is the case here, just a something that came to mind that me and the owner chuckled about. He was just glad it was an easy fix!

Regarding the needles, turn the high in some. Starting point of about 3/4, but almost all of my 50s OMCS end up being less than that once tuned on the water.

Still curious about compression too.

Sorry NFG is an acronym for something that is no good. You can fill in the expletive appropriately. That coil in the mid 50s Fastwin has a 100 percent failure rate. If it hasn't been changed, it is no good, guaranteed. They may still sometimes spark during testing, but will fail on the water when you need it. Pop the flywheel and have a look. At least inspect through the inspection port on the flywheel after removing the recoil.

Last edited:

Mr chainsaw

Cadet

Ok cool, I will check it all out, I was sure to get the right lines hooked up( first thin I checked). Ill pull the carb off and clean more thoroughly, if need be I will get a rebuild thanks a bunch ill let ya know how it all works out.

P.s- tazrig, that was a great link thanks.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

The manuals at Boatinfo are either,or similar to,the Seloc and clymer manuals and are very vague in some areas and downright wrong in others.The one you want is the actual factory service manual for your specific motor and can be obtained from www.outboardbooks .com.They are a bit pricey but well worth it.
Geoff69a1.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The manuals at Boatinfo are either,or similar to,the Seloc and clymer manuals and are very vague in some areas and downright wrong in others.The one you want is the actual factory service manual for your specific motor and can be obtained from www.outboardbooks .com.They are a bit pricey but well worth it.
Geoff69a1.

Actually the first manual under Johnson is an OEM manual and very good. I have the hard copy of it but that site makes it easy to navigate.

http://boatinfo.no/lib/johnson/manuals/1922-1964johnson.html#/0

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

I know from experience it is possible to install the float upside down -- don't recall, though, whether the result is overfilling of the bowl or underfilling.

Mr chainsaw

Cadet

I was able to get it running as smooth as butter, it is a great motor, I am proud. It's cool, all except that the prop doesn't engage in forward and in neutral it is in a slow reverse. So far I have nuetral and 2 gears in reverse. I was so bummed when I went to the lake and couldn't leave the shore. Can I take a sportwin lower and mash them together?

Mr chainsaw

Cadet

I got the motor to run great, it was just a fuel feeding problem. I put it in a trash can full of water and tuned it to run smoothly and cleared everything out, it has been sitting uncovered for several years. So I went down to the lake, I was so excited. When I got out there, I started it up and it started going backwards in nuetral. So I put it in reverse and it REALLY engaged. Then I tried forward, and it didn't move the slightest. I was soooo bummed. Can I take a sportwin lower and install it?

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

I got the motor to run great, it was just a fuel feeding problem. I put it in a trash can full of water and tuned it to run smoothly and cleared everything out, it has been sitting uncovered for several years. So I went down to the lake, I was so excited. When I got out there, I started it up and it started going backwards in nuetral. So I put it in reverse and it REALLY engaged. Then I tried forward, and it didn't move the slightest. I was soooo bummed. Can I take a sportwin lower and install it?

Are you sure it's not just a cable adjustment issue? O isn't there a cable hooked up to the motor?

Mr chainsaw

Cadet

No it is set up for the original tiller handle. Are the sportwin parts compatible?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

On the leg there is an oval access panel with 2 standard flat head screws. Remove that window.

Now you have access to the shift rod connector. Remove the bottom bolt. Shift into forward to get the connector up and out of the way. Using needle nose pliers, pull up on the connector. Try to spin the prop by hand, will it lock into forward? Move it down slightly and see if you now have neutral. Pushing it all the way down should get the prop to lock while spinning as it goes into reverse. The detent in the shift rod may just have been off adjustment. It need to be centered in the hole before installing the bottom bolt again.

Remove the spark plug leads from the plugs before doing this to prevent an accidental start!

What model Fastwin do you have?

Last edited: