1988 johnson 90hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

avantifishski

Seaman
Motor runs great but once I put it in gear it has like a hiccup shake what happens intermittent it may be five minutes be every so oftentween em 10 minutes between it 10 seconds between it there's no rhyme or reason it just has a shake every so often but it only happens when its in gear when in neutral it seems to run just fine without the hiccup. crazy strange cuz
he can go like 3 minutes or 20 minutes in between

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 johnson 90hp

In nuetral there is no work for the motor to do.----These motors have a history of breaking the piston rings, so a compression test needs to be done.--Once those values are know we can coach further.----Are the throttle plates all closed in the idle position ??

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Have a look inside the cylinders for any damage to the piston heads and run some seafoam through it

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

A fuel restriction inside the carbs can result in an occasional miss at idle. This is called a "lean sneeze." It's not an ignition problem, but fuel related. A complete teardown an overhaul of the carbs should solve the problem.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

First things first. Do a compression test on it and go from there.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Mine did that (97 Johnson115SPL).
Turned out to be a coil going bad intermittently when the motor warmed up. Ran fine at idle.
But like already said, compression check 1st.

Good Luck!
Dave

Last edited:

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

Mine did that too. One evening I took off the hood and started the motor and just watched her run. Sure enough, I observed a spark jump from a slightly cracked coil wire. Replaced the coil and solved the issue.

avantifishski

Seaman

this ofcourse ended up being the clutch dog.so had all gears changed.....

John Q

Recruit
I have a 1988 90 HP Evinrude outboard. My tilt and trim does not work. Can not lift or lower the motor. My batteries are all charged up. I assume this is a electrical issue but where do I start?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have a 1988 90 HP Evinrude outboard. My tilt and trim does not work. Can not lift or lower the motor. My batteries are all charged up. I assume this is a electrical issue but where do I start?

You start by reading the Help Tip on top of the page and starting a thread all your own. It helps to pick a related topic when hijacking, too. TnT and a hiccup while running are not related.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.